harianta

Software for Siemens s7-1200

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys, i have siemens s7-1200 that i need to communicate with. Meanwhile i have programming software Simatic Manager ver.5.3. Can i use this Simatic manager to communicate with s7-1200, and how to configure its connection. Thanks and best regards, Harianta

I think you need a version of the Siemens TIA Portal to program a S7-1200. Version 13 is far much better than the previous ones.

Bryll is right, Simatic Manager is too out of date. And it was one piece of a package, the programming software was called Step 7 for the S7-300 and S7-400. S7-1200 is TIA Portal.

Thank you guys, The recommendation was very helpful.

Hi ! I am just a beginer to plc and need a link for step7 s7-1200 if that is possible. Thanks

Siemens PLC programming is done with either Step 7 or TIA Portal software.

The Step 7 software is only for programming PLCs, excluding the 1200/1500 series PLCs. It will not program drives. Nor will it program HMIs.

The new TIA Portal package will program many (but not all) of the previous series (200, 300, 400) as well as the newer 1200/1500 series. Additionally, it has the capability of programming certain drives and HMIs. TIA Portal is intended to eventually replace the older Step 7 software (currently at version 5.5).

I would highly recommend investing in the TIA Portal package. The only reason I can see for purchasing the older Step 7 software is if you are programming an existing device that is not included in the current TIA Portal catalog. In that case I would seriously recommend considering replacing such a device with one supported by the TIA Portal software and purchasing the TIA Portal software package.

The TIA Portal can import and convert programs developed under the older Step 7 software. I think there are some limitations to be aware of, such as backwards compatibility. I think a program written in Step 7, imported and converted to TIA Portal, and downloaded to the CPU cannot be converted back to Step 7. And I think that a program downloaded from TIA Portal cannot be monitored by Step 7.

@Recovery13Check this link for a trial TIA Portal software download (basic): https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/document/106448872/simatic-step-7-(tia-portal)-v13-sp1-trial-download?dti=0&lc=en-WW. I think it offers a 21-day trial license. If you experience difficulty, contact a Siemens rep. I'm sure they would be happy to get you some trial software.

On 8/20/2016 at 3:21 PM, Recovery13 said:

Hi ! I am just a beginer to plc and need a link for step7 s7-1200 if that is possible. Thanks

It's not free software, you need to buy it from Siemens or a Siemens rep.