Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crankycowboy

Need help accessing the program on an old C20 controller

11 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a machine that has an old c20 controller on it. It also came with a Pro15 prgramming console. The machine actually functions as expected; however, I want to pull the program for contingency should the controller fail. I want to start the process of backing up the ladder and having it converted to another (updated) PLC that we can access and manipulate as if I wait for it to fail, it would be a major undertaking to backward engineer the logic. Can someone tell me what software (I have syswin 3.4), and hardware I need to access the controller please (and cable?). Thanks!

The difficult part of this will be finding the Host Link module. You need a 3G2C7-LK201-EV1 adapter. These are hard to come by. If you can find one, then you would use this pinout to make a cable: You could just use the PRO15 to get the mnemonics out of it. You can then enter that into programming software when needed and convert it.

Use the PRO15 to backup the program by using a cassette recorder to store and restore to new controller. I have even heard of people using Windows Sound Recorder for the same purpose. Here is the link in the Omron download section for recording procedures. Chap_5.pdf W65-E1-1 3G2A5-PRO13-E(Programming Console).pdf

Thanks guys. First, I should give the disclaimer that I'm clearly in over my head. I know enough to "tinker" with most of the PLCs within our plant (mostly AB products...and newer than this older Omron stuff). Secondly, I'm terrified that I'm going to do something to "mess up" the existing program leaving the machine inoperable. The PRO15 only shows <password> and <run> on the screen. Does that mean that I need a password to access the C20 or for the PRO15 itself. Bear with me guys, and thanks for the help!

There is no password on a C20. Make sure the slide switch is in MON. Then push CLR, MON, CLR. Read the manual on the PRO15.

Jay, Thank you very much....I'm in your neck of the woods too; I owe you a beer. That got me in. It must be aggravating to deal with us "amateurs" but thank you very much for taking the time.

It's not a matter of amateur. You have a 35 year old PLC and there is not many of us left that remember who to use it.
2 people like this

Jay or Michael ---- 

Working with a Sysmac C20 and was working well and then got an Alarm / Error.  How do i clear it?  do I need a programming tool.?   Is the Level Up and Level Down supposed to be lit at the same time (assuming not).  

I would be indebted to you and pay you if you can get me through this.....

*the alarm light is on the photo was just in-between blinks..

Sysmac C20.jpg

Suggest you read Chapter 2-7.  Low battery will cause a flashing alarm light.

Chap_2.pdf

I have the Omron C20 as well with flashing error.  Where can I get full manual?  I’ll look more here at mrplc.   Any idea what exact backup battery model is needed?