machinebuilder

modbus tcp/ip

19 posts in this topic

I can not figure out how to fill out the setup screen for modbus/tcp/ip. I am using a 1100. the device I want to connect to is a protos valve bank. It has 8 inputs and 8 outputs. It states it is 40001:0-40000:7 for the inputs and 40270:0 -40270:7 for outputs. for my logix setup top section I used B3:0 in the top section. i put the address of the device in the Multihop. I do not know what to put in the other blanks. I chose channel 2, but that channel does not say modbus tcp/ip. Am I using the wrong PLC model? In the bottom portion of setup i tried to use the 40001:0 and it would not accept that. I am at not atwork to get more info. I just found this website.

Seems like you have to have a specific firmware level to get Modbus TCP. When you get back to work, connect to the processor and note the firmware level for us. And welcome to the forum!

I'm not aware of Modbus/TCP support in the MicroLogix 1100 controller. I checked the firmware release history and find no mention of it being added. Modbus/TCP support is a feature of the MicroLogix 1400 Series B controller, so that's one of the things that distinguishes the two controllers.

You're right Ken, I was thinking of the 1400.

Thank you guys, That would explain why there is not a Modbus Tcp Enable choice under Channel 1. Since I have you guys here, Can you help me fill out the setup file? I am using a Protus I/O unit. It is showing me 8 inputs 400001:0 - 400001:7 8 outputs - 402049:0 - 402049:7 In my setup I have Channel as 1. I did the setup in the channel config and selected Modbus Tcp blanks are: Modbus Command Data Table Address, I have B3:0 there Size In Elements For Target Device Message Timeout is 2 MB Data Address (1-65536) 1 is in there Unit Identifier has 255 in there Modbus Address has 1 in there Routing Information I have RI20:0 Ethernet Address. has client in there. should i put the address of the Protis in there? This is my first time doing modbus tcp with Allen Bradley.

wow there is more to setup as well. Typical Allen Bradley. I never had to go through so much to use modbus/tcp on other brands. there is another window chan-1-modbus to fill out too. wow

Did you change to a Micrologix 1400? If so the 'Chan-1-Modbus' table only has to be filled out if the Micrologix will be a server/slave.

I did change to a 1400. Are you saying I do not use or fill out the boxes under Chan1-Modbus? Do I select Chan1 under Channel Configurations?

(By the way - is this a agnone posting at the AutomationDirect Forum?) You only have to fill out the Chan-1-Modbus tab if the external equipment will be asking for information from the Micrologix. Otherwise leave that blank. Open your MSG instruction Setup screen and take a screen shot of it. Then post it. You will have to have a MSG file (for example MG50:1) and a Routing Information file (for example RI51:1) for each message. The RI file will end up containing the IP address among other things. You do not DIRECTLY set up the MG or RI files. The Setup Screen does that for you.

I can not figure what to put in the This Controler-Communication Command I have 500CPU Selected and in Target device, data table Address I just threw in B:3.0 and I see the two device talking, but the addrerss is wrong. I can not work the Protus I/O. Channel - 1(Intergel) Communication Command - 500 CPU Read Data Table Address - N7.0. Size in Elements - 1 Target Device Message Timeout - 33 Data Table Address - ? Local/Remote - Local Routing - RI20:0 Mulithop, the address of the Protos I tried Channel 1- Modbus TCP/IP and get no where, have no idea what to put in the fields. If it is going to be this difficult, and can not be figured out, I won't use AB for this type of application. I never had such a hard time trying to use modbus with other brands. wow Would not be so bad if they had help files that really did explain these things.

I'm using RSLogix 500 version 9.00 In the Channel Configuration for Channel 1 I have the 'Modbus TCP Enable' function checked. Of course you should have the IP and Netmask of the Micrologix filled in. I created a message (MSG) instruction. I have MG20 and RI21 as files needed for the message. Choose your own data table numbers Opening the setup screen I have: Channel - 1 (Integral Modbus TCP) Modbus Command - 03 Read Holding Registers (4xxxxx) Data Table Address - B3:0 Size in Elements - 1 Data - 16 bit MB Data Address - 1 Unit Identifier - 255 (I don't think this is relevant in this application) Routing Information - RI21:1 Ethernet IP Address (Put the IP of the Protos unit here) Leave 'Port' at 502 Edited by b_carlton

Okay I put those numbers in the MSG setup, but when on line it shows ER for the msg block, there is no communication between the plc and Protus. Wonder if something with the I/O. I use C-More panels with the 1400 and I do not even have to select enable modbus to make it work, it just works. I also am using the same version of RS500. Now that I think about it, when I use a C-More, I do nothing. That is because there are tags to be made. How do I relate the Protus I/O to the plc? There are no tags so how would I map the I/O to the plc? I went and changed the setup file to Channel 1 integral. but but b3:0.0 in both addresses, which I think are wrong and now I see commications between the two. Not sure this I/O is going to work.

I haven't used the Protos I/O system so I can't help a lot further. Once you have communication you are almost there. Good luck. You never did post your setup pictures or post your program in full. That has made it a lot harder to help.

I never did get the communications to work properly. there is not much of a program at this point, just the rungs for the MSG. If you do get the Protos to work, let me know. I am not on planning to use it unless someone can get it to work. Looks similar to the wago system. Actually, the cards work with the Wago Ethernet System. The cards are less expensive then getting them from Wago. I was hoping I could use the Protos Ethernet module as we, but that is not the case. A lot disappointed the protos is not working out.

I finally got it to work. I ended up starting over then making 2 MSG blocks, one to receive the inputs and one to turn on the outputs. That was a challenge in itself to get the numbers right. attachment=14087:Send to Protos Outputs.png]

Glad you got it. Of course it will be easy from now on.

yea, hahaha, you better believe I am going to file this!
1 person likes this