tadamsmar

Need good intro on programming PLC5

3 posts in this topic

I have the PLC5 programming manuals but I am asking to see if there is an easier approach than slogging through those. I have the task of writing a maintenance manual for our PLC latter logic. I have never learned how to program the PLCs so I am looking for a gentle introduction. I have the PLC5 manuals used by the in engineers who programmed it and I have access to a smart engineer(who is my technical lead) who helped program it and currently maintains it. I have access the the PC used to maintain the latter logic. It has RSLogix 5 installed. So I can look at the configuration and even probably modify it in a playpen, but it would be harder for me to test anything on a real PLC because we only have production PLCs, none for testing. But there is one production system that is not in use so I could test on that one, I guess. I have a good understanding of the functional requirements since I maintain a compter interface to the PLC output tables on a central master control computer (in FORTRAN and C). It's all just analog inputs, analog outputs, digital inputs, digital outputs and status tables. Nothing more than that. Just scanning.

Hugh Jack's books are a great place to start with some PLC basics. http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?app=downloads&showcat=39

Check out the link to this class, and see if he is offering a PLC 5 class anytime soon. http://www.ronbeaufort.com/ Best time and money you can spend, if you are serious about needing to learn your way around a PLC. BCS EDIT: Looks like Oct 5th - Oct 9th is the next PLC5 class scheduled, and only a few available weeks left in the year. Better Hurry!!! Edited by Bering C Sparky