karkas44

Need advice chosing Allen-Bradley PLC

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I will be working on an automation project with an AB PLC, but so far I have only worked with Siemens. The system requirements are the following: Modular PLC that supports Ethernet communication (To use a PanelView), 10 DI, 10 DO, 10 AI and 10 AO at least and capabilities for ON/OFF and PID control instructions. I have been checking the selection guides for the SLC 500 System and the CommpactLogix System, but only found the PID instructions capabilities in the SLC 500. Probably the 1756 Controllers are too big for the I/O number necessity. I would like to get some advice about this selection, I am almost sure that the SLC will do the job, but if some other one that's smaller and more economical can have the aforementioned capabilities it'll be a better choice. Thanks in advance

Hi karkas44, I recommend you to download the MicroLogix Programmable Controllers Selection Guide 1761-sg001_-en-p.pdf and the CompactLogix System Selection Guide 1769-sg001_-en-p.pdf These are quite different plc families and differ a lot in capabilities, price and programming software. If you want more specific advise you have to provide more detailed information like what kind of DI (AC or 24VDC, high speed or regular), what kind of DO (Relay or 24VDC), Analog (Voltage or Current, Isolated or Non-isolated, acceptable resolution), Control (On-Off like a Thermostat or Time Proportional), PID (simple or advanced) Bye

Do you own any Allen Bradley Programing Software already? If you do what software do you own? This may be your deciding factor as to which controller you want to use. The only free version of Allen Bradley Software you could use only supports the MicroLogix 1000 and 1100 controllers. Unfortunately with your I/O count you will not be able to use either of these. So if you don't own the software already then you are looking at having to purchase software also. Now you might want to ask yourself " If I have to purchase software, which version will I use the most in the future". The MicroLogix controller that would fit the description you are looking for would be the 1400 Model. It has Ethernet and is expandable to accommodate your I/O needs. This programs with RSLogix500 software. (Older defined data table type software) (This is also the same software that the SLC you mentioned is programed with) The ControlLogix and CompactLogix type of controllers are the newer generation. They program with RSLogix5000 now known as Studio5000. (Newer Tag based software) Just something to think about when making your decision. If you happen to already have one version or the other, but not both of them, then the decision might be very easy. Regards, BCS

If you are going to be using AB PLC's often, I would invest in RSLogix 5000 and use Compactlogix line of processor. You can accommodate just about any I/O needs cost effectively.