Axion20010

Mitsubishi VFD FR-700 Freq Drive

12 posts in this topic

Hello All, before getting into too much detail I just had some control wiring questions for this drive and was wondering if any of you have experience with these drives, if so please respond! Thanks Mike Edited by Axion20010

Which series? D700, E700, F700, or A700? Having the full model number would be helpful.

This is a FR-E720-330 (SC), Integrating with a Qseries Mitsu Controller

OK. So what's the question? Wiring those units is pretty simple, what are you trying to do?

Alright, I thinking that I need to use solid state relays to give me my "No Voltage Inputs" on the freq drive coming from my high signal (24vdc) on the output card on the controller, and then on the contact side of the relay I am going to tie the control input signals (RunHigh, RunMid, RunLow, ForwardRotationStart, Etc) to common via closing the relay and controlling my drive. Does this make sense? I have not had the pleasure of working with "No Voltage Inputs" and tech support gives me answers like "Sure" and "That might work" when I asked them about this. Thank you for your patience

Axion20010, You can use the relay output from a PLC outputcard if the common is connected to the power supply 24Vdc (NOT MAINS POWER!!) of the frequency inverter. If you need simple control use the relay contacts and if you have more advanced idea's to control speeds etc. consider a serial connection from the PLC to the drive. Good luck! Theo V. Edited by Theo V

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. A drawing of your circuit might help. However, you shouldn't need interposing relays. You can drive the inputs of the drive directly from the PLC, even if they are transistor outputs, so long as the voltage is 24vdc. What output card are you using on the Q? Edited by JRoss

either use source or sink logic, set the jumper correctly, then use the PLC to drive relays for whatever you want the vsd to do. (PC) is the 24v common terminal. if you used a relay output card on your plc you could drive all the outputs from that, using the PC terminal as your 24v supply to the relays on the card. for a simple stop start 3 speed setup using source logic you need to have a switch between 'pc' and the speed you require ('rh', 'rm, 'rl). you will also need to either link 'pc' and 'stf' or have this switchable too if you are running both directions. if you connect an analogue output from your plc to terminals 4+5 you can use that as a variable speed control. hopefully that makes some sense?

Alright sorry for the delay I just wrapped up this VFD install project so here we go: JRoss: I am using a QY42P NPN card Dunc: Using sinking logic I ended up using omron g6b-47bnd mechanical relays (stuff we had in house) to close my contacts between Rhigh, Rmid, Rlow etc to the SD terminal (Input common), so on the coil side of the relay, being NPN I landed the 24v high from the power supply across the (+) terminals and the outputs from the outputs card across the (-) terminals and this was the winning combination for me. (I am reading this after the install btw, sorry for that) Dunc: So your saying I could have avoided the mechanical relays all together by using the PC 24v source to the relay output card and come back with the physical outputs of the card to land on Rhigh etc. I will have 4 more of these to do shortly so I am interested accomplishing this wiring without the relay setup and using just the relay output card. Great information guys, thanks for the help.

The QY42P is a transistor card, not a relay card. If you were using a QY18A, which has isolated relay outputs, then you could wire it directly to the drive in the same way that you are using the interposing relays. However, none of that is necessary, as you can connect transistor outputs directly to the drive. First, make sure the "sink/source" jumper on the front of the drive is set to match the type of output card you are using. In your case leave it at the default "sink" position. Then, connect the PC terminal of the drive to the +24V you are using for the output card. This makes sure that you have a voltage potential match between drive and the outputs. Then wire the outputs directly to the inputs on the drive. I've done this many times with many brands of drives, including Mitsubishi, though I'm usually using sourcing outputs. Let me know if you have trouble.

J Ross is correct. you didn't need to use the extra relays if you use the PC terminal to the output card. if you start using random 24v supplies you wont do the drive any good. there is no problem with the way you have done it. some of our equipment is wired like that as we have used existing prewired output cards which are often 110vac. whether you use sink or source logic, the rules are the same.

I will use JRoss' method on the next 4 that I Install, the omron relay sockets and relays I am using are like 70-100$ depending on who you order them through and this will really clean up/speed up the install, I will have a picture of what I ended up with shortly. Thanks again guys!