22 posts in this topic

Hi This is my first time using AB PV 600 and panelbuilder32. I do not have the original CD since it was bought long time ago. I am looking for few examples to configure this HMI to display a simple welcome message and is there a way to conenct an access database to the panelbuilder32. Thanks

Just open the PanelBuilder and select a Text object to put text on the screen. It's really a pretty intuitive piece of software. Post if you have specific questions about the configuration or how specific objects work. PanelView Standard terminals have a proprietary embedded operating system and don't connect to external computers or servers or databases. They talk to PLC controllers over the networks built into their hardware, and that's about it. While they're a popular and well known product, the PanelView Standard line is out of production, so parts and knowledge will inevitably dwindle.

How would you go about creating a manual data entry function? I want my HMI to display a keypad for manual entry of an ID or a password.

Download the manual for the software. http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2711-um004_-en-p.pdf

How does one load the application on the PV 600?

Read chapter 23 of the manual.

Thank you so much for the help. Next topic is how do i check if my Micrologix 1500 ( 24 WBA) is communicating with the PC? I dont have any PLC program finished yet.

See links... http://www.mrplc.com/kb/How-to-Connect-to-an-Allen-Bradley-Micrologix-1500-using-RS-232-(DF1)_65.html http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=264 Edited by Mickey

All ML1500's have at least one RS232 port some have two. There is a round 8 pin port on the front lower right on all Ml1500's. Use a 1761-CBL-PM02 cable to get connected. What is the complete catalog number of your ML1500? Edited by Mickey

ML1500 24WBA. My bad i was thinking about PV600. It does have RS232.

The 1764-LRP has 2 RS232 ports. The 1764-LSP has 1 RS232 port. Your PV600 most likely has a RS232 port also. What is the complete catalog number of your PV? Edited by Mickey

How do i figure if its lsp or lrp? Its pv 600 2711 T2C6L1

If you have a Sub D comm port sticking out the side of your processor then you have a 1764-LRP. If you do not then you have a 1764-LSP. See Below.

Do you mean 2711-T6C2L1, if so then you are right your PV does not have a RS232 port. Edited by Mickey

I am still unable to communicate with the PV through the PC. Can someone guide me through? Thanks

My friend, The first thing we will need is the correct model # of the Panelview you are using. If it is a 2711-T6C2L1 as Mickey pointed in an above post, then it has no RS232 port, and only has DH485 communication capability. You will need to acquire a converter such as the 1747-UIC to interface between your PC and a Panelview that has only this type of communication. If you would please confirm your model # and someone will be able to better assist you. Regards, BCS

The model # is 2711-T6C2L1. Note: The laptop i am using is an old laptop with no RS 232 port. I don't have access to 1747 UIC but i have 1761-NET-AIC if that helps. Appreciate the help. Thanks

Hmmm....well I have personally not tried that, but I don't see why it would not work. I may be dead wrong about that though as I do not find any examples of doing this for a PV only, I do see examples using it to interface 1 controller though. But if its all you got, then light it up and give it a try. From your PC to AIC use a USB - Serial Converter and a 1747-CP3 cable. From the AIC to the PV use a 1761-CBL-PM02 Cable Supply your AIC with 24vdc Try your baud in auto first. Now create a NEW DF1 driver in RSLinx and see if it will Auto Configure. (Don't forget to look at your PC settings to see what Comm port you are using, and set this same comm port in your RSLinx Driver before hitting Auto Configure.) If it works then great, if not you may have to do some more experimenting or wait and see if some who has use this device in this fashion comes along with better advice. Also if you are going to be working with this kind of thing often I would suggest investing in a 1747-UIC, it will save you a lot of hassle in the future. Good luck and let us know if it works. BCS Edited by Bering C Sparky

That is not going to work the 1761-NET-AIC is not a protocol converter. It is a RS232 to RS485 converter and a RS232 isolator. You would have to use the 1747-PIC/AIC driver (DH485 protocol) in RSLinx which will not work without a real serial port. Your best bet without the 1747-UIC is a memory card. See link...(disregard the first sentence) http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=583141&postcount=2 Edited by Mickey

I just ended up getting PV Plus 600 Compact. 2711PC T6C20D8. I am having trouble trying to configure the drivers. I am using RSLinx Classic. I do not know if there is a way to configure or communicate with PV and PC through Factory Talk . Any help would be appreciated. Thanks