pvhoof

error opening 1756-L61 file or plc

6 posts in this topic

*** SOLVED*** When opening a source or trying to connect to a 1756-L61 I get the following error: failed to open file..... Support for the 1756-L61 controller is not installed. All EDT files for it seem to be installed and I have no idea what else I need. Does anyone here know? Edited by pvhoof

What version of RSLogix5000 are you using? It would not happen to be the micro version would it? (Just taking a stab in the dark here) Edit: Or possibly using a version of RSLogix5000 that is greater than V20. I just read this in another tread that is down just a bit on this page titled PLC Version Upgrade. Look down and read that one, for more info. BCS Edited by Bering C Sparky

Yep, I will bet a dollar that's it. The release notes for V21 do not mention the 1756-L61 processor, but they are supported by version 20 and downward through at least V13. (I did not bother to look any further back than this) (Please excuse my shotgun answers, I have not worked with this controller so I have to look for the answer myself) Revision 21.pdf Edited by Bering C Sparky

It is the RSLogix Mini edition In the "Help","About" ," More info," it shows the following Built on: 02/17/09 01:59:23 Installed Components: Ladder Diagram Trending External Routines Installed Controller Support: CompactLogix5300 FlexLogix5400 Installed Firmware Support: v13 v15 v16 v17 v18 v19 v20 v21" I have little experience with rslogix5000 and have no idea if this is the right one, I might need an additional download or maybe the "Mini" version doesn't support this processor. Peter van Hoof

Ok then I owe you a Dollar, I should have stuck with my first hunch. LOL The MINI version only supports Compactlogix and not Controllogix processors. You will need to get a Bigger version of RSLogix5000 to work with this processor. Sorry for the bad news. BCS (I see I said Micro version in my first post, I should have said Mini. My bad) Edited by Bering C Sparky
1 person likes this

Thanks for that, Bering the help file should have mentioned this it would have saved me a day of searching and reinstalling different versions. Have a great 4Th Peter van Hoof