Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Guest_Andy

Connecting 2 TSX Momentum

6 posts in this topic

I've got two TSX Momentum Processors on I/O racks. I want to use one for just I/O. Do I need to get a 170 ENT 110, or can I have one be my PLC and one just be I/O.

Confused.... You have two Momentum CPUs? Do they have Ethernet? You mention a ENT module, so you must be considering Ethernet. You can remove a CPU from the one and replace it with an ENT adapter if you've got the capabilities for Ethernet I/O scanner on the processor you intend to run. Which CPUs have you got?

171CCC96020 Processor Adapter They have both ENET and an I/O Bus. I see the I/O base alone has an ENET plug, what do you need a head for?

No I/O base has a port built in. All you get on the I/O bases is the I/O. If you're going to have these devices close to each other, I would use the I/O bus port on the CPU and buy an Interbus comm adapter for the other one. But if you NEED to do it over Ethernet, you should be able to communicate to it from the CPU you have.

Just curiuos as to why ENET is being loooked on as a last resort? Are there some cons i'm not aware of?

Well obviously Ethernet is non-deterministic, and network traffic can interfere with your communications. For I/O communications of any importance, you want the gauranteed packet delivery and timing of an industrial network. I use Ethernet all the time, for PLC to PLC or PLC to PC communications, sometimes even PLC to HMI. But I never put I/O out on Ethernet unless my PLCs are on their own dedicated network with a switch (not a hub).