JTC

Factory Talk View Studio Alarm Ack Bit

3 posts in this topic

Is there a bit, or tag, in a Panelview for all unacknowledged and acknowledged alarms? I would like to access this with my Compactlogix PLC to have an alarm light flash if unacknowledged alarms exist and be steady if all alarms have been acknowledged. I see in Factory Talk View Studio on the Alarms List Properties, Connections Tab are some tags that look like what I want but I don't know how to access them from the Compactlogix. Can anyone help?

Not easily, no. Each alarm trigger has an "optional trigger connection" that can write back to the controller. You would want to use the ACK connection. Whenever that alarm trigger is acknowledged (at that particular PanelView) the PanelView will send a non-zero value to the controller. Ex. writes 1 to the controller. You would need to setup the ACK for each of your alarm triggers, then have the controller do the logic if all of the alarms have been acknowledged. Those tag connections in the Alarm List that you found are read only; they are only used to change the display of the Alarm List. So, those will not help you in this case. Try it out just using memory tags in the PanelView and you'll figure out how it works.

In most cases, alarms are generated by the PLC. So I usually create code to give me an "Active Alarm" bit in the PLC.