PortenoSuenos

RSogix5000 Security

8 posts in this topic

Hi All... As an OEM is there anyway in RSLogix5000 that would only allow someone to go online and view program but make NOT allow any edits or any changes..??? Thanks,

I believe the "service" version of RSLogix 5000 has this level of functionality - but there's nothing to stop someone from getting a higher version and editing. Depends what you're trying to achieve/prevent

I was told that Studio5000 has security stuff like this. Have you tried this..??

No, I've not used any security. I know there's a different mindset over in the USA (and possibly in Argentina too), but here it's generally considered very poor form to put passwords or security on PLC programs. The customer is buying the machine, it's their machine, and if they want to be able to make modifications to integrate it with their process then it's their right to do so. Yes, there are exceptions to this - and there are still plenty of places that lock up PLC programs anyway - but from my point of view it's not a good look for my business. Even if it means that I get extra work because they are forced to use me later on to make any changes, they won't be using me willingly. And they won't speak highly of me to others. It's a small industry, if word gets out that my systems are a long term pain in the backside, I'll start to find very quickly that I'm not winning as many jobs as I used to. Anyway that's my rant done with. Doesn't really help you, I know. Sorry!

I know this is a topic that can be frustrating at best. View is different depending on where you are standing. There is no perfect answer, and each environment requires special treatment. And we as OEM want some sort of protection as well. The fine line to walk is that line between what gives us protection and what gives our customers the abilities to maintain equipment. Im hoping to do both..!!

We've recently purchased a machine, controlled by a 1769-L33ER PLC, that originally was fully secured by the vendor. We told the vendor that we needed access to the machine to make any additions as necessary. They opened up the whole program except for 2 Add On Instructions that was their proprietary code. The AOI cannot be opened or viewed by us. We can see where they are called by the program, but we cannot access them in any way. The rest of the PLC is open for us to make changes as our process changes. I’m not sure how to set up the protections, but I know it can be done. The only thing I will warn is that be very careful with the security files, because if you lose it you lose the processor that has the protections on it, or access to the AOI’s, programs, etc. Hope this helps.

Yes, we use this type of security in our facility. We have 50+ different die cast machine, all with their own PLCs. We give a few of our maintenance guys permission to make changes, but most can only view the program for trouble shooting purposes. We set up the security in FactoryTalk Administration Console. We have different Windows Linked Users and we can put them in different groups (maintenance, programmers, etc) and then we give the groups different permissions. Edit: I'm not sure the best way to display higher res photos on here, so here is an Imgur link. You can click on the pictures in the link and it will expand them to higher res. Photo 1: http://i.imgur.com/lFzyReL.jpg Photo 2: http://i.imgur.com/QT2dmDj.jpg Howard Edited by hboyer90

I'm not a huge IT/ computer guy, we have a department for that, so I'm not sure how to create windows accounts, but if you have the users already created it's really easy to create groups and give them different permissions.