PaulKim1003

MicroLogix 1100 to CompactLogix L-45 via MSG command

9 posts in this topic

Hello, I am trying to communicate with MicroLogix 1100 from CompactLogix. But I keep getting an error and It says connection failure. This is what I have done so far. Can anyone tell me what I am missing? Regards,

1 more question to ask, shouldn't MicroLogix1100 have some kind of ethernet modules that can communicate with the compactLogix??? Thanks Edited by PaulKim1003

A few things: 1. The destination datatype should be a 16-bit INT, not a DINT as the tag name suggests. MicroLogix "N" registers are 16-bit Integers. 2. The connection failure is probably part of the Path. In general with CompactLogix the path is to the Ethernet daughtercard (1,1) then out the port to the destination IP address (2, 192.168.105.41". If this is a modern '5370' series CompactLogix (the ones with USB only, no RS232 port) you can omit the first hop and just use the "2, 192.168.105.41" path. 3. Do not put the MicroLogix into the I/O tree of the CompactLogix Ethernet network. The two cannot make a cyclic I/O style connection and putting the MicroLogix into the I/O tree can interfere with communications to it.

Hello Ken, Thank you for your reply. I changed a DINT to INT and I used "2, 192.158.105.41" and It still did not work. How do i find out if this is a modern '5370' series CompactLogix?? Any other suggestions? Regards, Edited by PaulKim1003

Does it have a USB port on the front? If so it's a 5370. If not, it's an older style.

Hi JRose, Thank you for your reply. It does not have a USB port, it only has RS232 port. What should I do now?

Change your communications path to: 1,1,2,192.168.105.41 The format of the path is "port", "address", "port", "address".... until you get to your destination. With the older CompactLogix, the Ethernet is handled as a separate part and you have to go from the CPU to the "backplane" (port 1) to the Ethernet card (address 1), then out the comms port (port 2) to the destination device (the Micrologix).

Thank you so much for your help. It worked. I am now able to read data from the micrologix 1100. Thank you Ken and JRose.

No problem