Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dogar

Updating firmware of L61, CNBR, ENBT, and 1757 SRM modules

2 posts in this topic

Dear experts, In order to eliminate a fault in my system I want to change the firmware of following modules in 1756 Controllogix Standard redundancy system: L61: from 7.1 to 16.057 CNBR D-Type: from 7.1 to 7.016 CNBR E-Type: from 11.1 to 11.005 ENBT/A: from 3.1 to 6.006 1757-SRM: 5.004 Although I have never worked with PLC before but I have read a lot of manuals and so i do have a little information on how to do things but as the system is critical and I can't afford any mistake I need advice from you guys regarding the proper and complete procedure to do the above mentioned activity. Kindly tell me if I will be required to take backup for controlnet and Ethernet scheduled files by rsnetworks or not? and what precautions should i take? and what possibly can do wrong and how to handle the worst case senario? I would be having maximum of 5 hours to do all of the above mentioned activity.

For starters, you will need version 16 of Logix5000. As a side note, this is not a current version. I believe v24.xx is the most current. At my plant I have been going to version 21.xxx which is compatible with newer windows servers. You will have to reschedule any controlnet networks. Also, you may lose aliased tags if you have to change a major revision of any associated cards. Be sure to make note of those tags beforehand. Backup your program before and after any changes are made. I usually write a procedure for myself well before commencing any work so I don't miss anything. Also, I use ControlFlash for my firmware updates. I believe you can use Logix5000 if you want. 1. Backup all possible files. 2. Insert a SEPERATE ethernet card OR plug in with a usb cable if you have the means. 2. Flash all moduels. If flashing a sercos card and servo drives, do the drives first, then sercos card. 3. Flash ethernet cards, controlnet cards etc. 4. Flash controller 5. Open saved PLC program and update the firmware revisions. If changing the major revision level of any i/o, you will have to delete the card in your program i/o tree and then readd it at the proper firmware version. 6. After you have updated the cpu revision and all other's the program will recompile, save this file as yourplcprogram_vXX.acd where XX is your new revision of your processor. Now you have 2 copies, one of the old verison program and one of the new. 7. Download your new program to the plc and fire it up. Check for comm faults. You will probably have to reschedule your controlnet networks. This is just a rough outline from my memory... REASEARCH!!!! If your not confident you could probably call in a controls engineering firm to do it for you.