Riff

Measuring thickness

4 posts in this topic

Not so much a CX-One question, but more a "What do you use to measure thickness" question ;) I need something to measure thickness of a veneer sheet, so that I know the exact thickness. The challenges with the measurement is that the sheet travels on a conveyor (rollers between u-bends (not quite sure what's it called in english), and it travels at 2 meters pr second. So it needs to measure things very accuralty and quick. I've tried the zx2 with a calculating unit in between, but for that to work I need to hold it still for a set amount of time and it becomes to slow for the process. Any of you done any high speed measuring while measuring exactly the width down to the tenth of a millimeter? (As in see if the sheet is 1.9, 2.0 or 2.1 for instance) Kurt

I have used these in many web thickness applications, but not sure how effective they may be on damp wood veneer (may absorb too much sound from sensor) http://www.bannerengineering.com/en-US/products/sub/235/U-GAGE-Q45UR-Series%E2%80%94Analog Have also used laser sensors aimed at a roller (with empty roller being zero reference) and measuring the thickness of material as it passes around the roler.

Hello I've used 2 Omron ZX1 lasers (above and below) for an application very similar to yours. Pp

Thanks guys :) I'll do some more digging and reading :D