Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hboyer90

MicroLogix1000 for home automation/ projects?

16 posts in this topic

Hey guys, so for a while I've been wanting to get a little PLC for home that I can play with and just have some fun with. I don't know exactly what I will do with it, I mean I live in a 1 bedroom apartment in Minneapolis, so I don't exactly have a large workshop to set up projects, but maybe some home automation type stuff. I'll probably set up a little test board with din rail and terminals and just mess around with it when I get bored. Anyways... so I wasn't sure what to get. I've always liked Allen Bradley, but the licenses are so expensive, obviously. But now with my current job I have to take my laptop home in case someone needs support on one of our machines, so I have RSLogix5, 500 and 5000 software/licenses installed on my laptop, so I can just use that. So I was looking at my options. I was thinking about getting an Aurduino or Raspberry Pi, but I kind of wanted to stay with Allen Bradley since that is what I use at work, and I may as well learn as much as I can about that. Well anyways, 2 nights ago I had a few too many drinks after work and I was browsing eBay for used PLCs and I bid on/won a MicroLogix1000. It seemed like a good idea at the time, it says its fully functional, it has free shipping is only $85, and since I already have the software... So what are your guys' thoughts on the MicroLogix1000? To be specific, the one I bought was the: 1761-L32BWA MICROLOGIX-1000 Besides the software and the computer cable, is there anything else I will need? I don't need expansion cards with this, unless I want, because it has i/o built into the controller, correct? I will just need a 120VAC and 24VDC power supply? Thanks! Edited by hboyer90

l have few ML1000's and they are great for learning programming, pity you didn't get the analogue type, as then you can do most things a rack plc can do. They just lack some of the scaling abilities of the big brothers. As you are aware know you will only be able to do digital input/output programming.

Just in case you forget your Laptop at work, you can download the Free Version of RsLogix that will be able to program your Micrologix 1000.

According to the website: http://raise.rockwellautomation.com/RAConfig/resultsComponents.asp?CID=936E53731B4F43E986E2807E5CC20E5F Product: 1761-L32BWA Description: MicroLogix 1000, 120/240V ac power, (20) 24V dc digital inputs, (12) relay outputs It looks like there are digital inputs and relay outputs built in. You will need to buy a 120 or 240 VAC power supply to power the PLC and a 24 VDC power supply for the IO. You will also need the appropriate programming cable for upload/download (between your PLC and your laptop).

Couldn't I just run 120VAC from my wall outlet to the PLC?

Also, is there an Ethernet adapter module that I could use to connect this thing to my home Ethernet?

Yes, you can power the plc from a wall outlet directly. It should also have a built in 24VDC power supply if you only have a minimal amount of IO. Enough to get started anyway. What are you looking to do with the Ethernet interface?

Idk, just not have to connect a cable straight from the processor to my laptop every time I want to go online/upload/download. I'm not too sure yet.

I really wish this thing had analog, I could do a lot more projects with it. How hard would it be to connect analog modules to this/ am I able to expand this I/O at all? Via something like Flex I/O?

There really isn't a good way to expand the 1000, though you can get versions with built-in analog. You should look into the 1100. Has built-in Ethernet, two analog inputs, and you can add expansion cards.

Will do, thanks.

I second the suggestion by Jeremy. 1763-L16AWA You can power it by your wall outlet. I usually cut down a Power cord from a Computer Monitor. I suggest going through a surge protector, that way you can use the switch to cycle power. Good Luck!

hboyer, what are you looking to do with your home automation projects? Just asking because I've been looking into Arduino's or PLC's (mostly Automation Direct) to create a security system, control lights and temperature as a home project. Just wondering what you had in mind. I'm not sure what to do for an HMI yet, may have to yoink a couple of old Beijer HMIs out of the office.

Hey jethridge, I'm not sure. Just something to fiddle with when I'm bored drinking whiskey and watching netflix I guess! But I was thinking of very similar things as you. Control the lights, possibly window shades, etc. I definitely want some analog inputs/ expandable i/o though.

ML1100 is small, low cost, expandable, has Ethernet, analog inputs, supports online editing... next step is ML1400

Yeah, I will probably look at getting an ML1100. This ML1000 is nice and really cheap, but so much more can be done with the 1100.