Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GiantJacob

Factory Talk View ME Custom Active X Controls

3 posts in this topic

Hey All, I am trying to do some data storing on a PanelView+ and the built in data logging doesn't quite fit my needs. I was looking into the possibility of creating my own ActiveX control for doing this. Is it possible to create custom ActiveX controls for Factory Talk? If so, are there any tutorials for doing so you recommend? Also, are there any sites that have custom ActiveX controls to download? I realize this may not be the easiest thing to do, but if I could create my own I could use it for various machines and would make things a lot simpler in the long run. Thanks

I don't know if you can create your own ActiveX control from scratch, but I found this tutorial that gives an example of modifying an ActiveX control to log data for an additional tag in FactoryTalk: http://rsteched.codigointeligente.com/Salon6/VZ02/VZ02.pdf (See pg. 39) Hope this helps.

Yes you can write active x controls I believe. We run them on our SE setup. Its all written in visual studio, usually in vb+. The customm program utilizes a OPC server to read and write tag values to/from the plc. It works, but its not pretty. I believe .net w/aspen tec is the way to go these days. Of course like I said this is all server based SE I'm relating to. Checkout the Factory Talk View Studio user manual on the rockwell literature page.