Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MrH20

Setting IP address in a Micrologix 1100

7 posts in this topic

Hi, just wondering if anybody can assist with setting the IP address on a new Micrologix 1100 processor. I used the RS Linx BOOTP-DHCP server to set the IP, and all seems fine, except I get an error 'failed to complete the requested operation' when trying to disable BOOTP after setting the IP address. I've tried connecting to the processor using an Ethernet driver in RS Linx, but it seems whilst RS Linx can see the processor it has the old yellow "?" mark with a cross through it, and NO can't ping the darn thing either. Also tried downloading the EDS files from Rockwell, but still no good. Interesting thing is I set one of these processors up last year and only difference was it had rev 12 firmware, whereas the new processor has rev 14. Please help!!!

I have often found disabling DHCP through BootP does not work on 1st attempt (and often subsequent attempts). Try setting the IP via BootP, then open RSLinx, configure your Ethernet/IP connection and get connecting, then right-click on the PLC and try to turn off DHCP in the Properties pop-up. Once you get it set, cycle power to the PLC and cross your fingers. If you get real gung-ho, you can Goggle the command prompt syntax for turning on/off DHCP via the good old DOS pop-up.

Thanks have tried that, but it seems RS Linx just doesn't recognise the device, ie can't get connected in the first place.

Have you tried going online with the serial port/DF1 driver and checking/setting the IP address,,???

Unfortunately I didn't have a serial Micro cable handy.....BUT I've fixed it! The issue is BOOTP/DHCP does not appear to work well in Windows 7. So I used an old XP machine, and presto got it sorted in like 2 minutes. I followed the attached document posted by somebody else (many thanks). Happy days now. How to Use the BOOTP.doc

I've had trouble with Windows 7 as well. Make sure you disable any firewalls, and any other network adapters (e.g. wifi). If you're using VM's, also disable the host wifi adaptor. Using this method it works for me pretty reliably.

You'd think with AB pushing Ethernet/IP everything they'd update the antiquated piece of software...
4 people like this