Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
487mcgill

Turning inches traveled per pulse (a real number) to inches per minute

5 posts in this topic

I am currently trying to get my program to take distance traveled per pulse, which is based off of the diameter, and convert it into IPM. I am using RS Logic 5000 software. If anyone could help me get over this hump I would really appreciate it!

Which PLC? Also, what module are you using to accept the encoder input? Some of them have a "rate" feature that gives you the frequency of the input. You could use that to convert directly to IPM without dealing with timers.

This is just a random thought, but if you're using an RSlogix 5000 CPU why not create a virtual axis and feed the encoder counts to the virtual axis. Then you can pull average velocity and position and such from the axis. I haven't written this type of code, but know it can be done.

Bob, Could you elaborate or expand on your idea of programatically linking an encoder to a virtual axis. I am thinking of using a 1734-IK with an L18-ERM. I would be getting encoder counts or pulses from another machine that has no provisions for mounting a CIP encoder. K5500 does not have aux encoder. Up to what performance do you think this method could accommodate something like registration correction?

I've done something like that about 5 years ago, and unless something has changed, I wouldn't recommend it. I was trying to do an infeed system to a packaging line using hardware that somebody else specced (ahem). The encoder was mounted on the flighted infeed conveyor that was part of the packaging machine, and I had to follow it with a metering conveyor to drop product into the flights. After several conversations with Rockwell, I managed to make it function, but there was a delay that caused a pretty noticeable following error once I got over 100 packs per minute (about 60fpm). Which was only about half the required speed. We ended up getting an M02AE card, which I believe has been discontinued. If you can't use a CIP encoder, then my recommendation would be to either upgrade the 5500 to a 6500 and use the aux port, or get the smallest CIP drive you can and set it up as a feedback only axis (no motor attached). But for the curious, here's what I did. If you aren't going too fast, it might work for your application. I set up the high speed counter card to take the input from the encoder. Since it was on a flighted conveyor, I set it up as a ring-counter scaled it to thousandths of inches (mils). Next I set up a virtual axis with the same scaling. Then I created a periodic task with a fast update time (1 or 2 ms) and used a RDP (redefine position) instruction to write the encoder position into the virtual axis position. The method worked, and I was able to gear the metering servo to the virtual axis, and adjust position on the fly. But the update period wasn't fast enough for a high-speed packaging line. While the line was running, it metered fairly well, but every time there was a stop and start the metering servo was slow to respond and product was damaged. Once we switched to the M02AE, the system took off and ran perfectly.