Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BeltonLake

Submitting with an SLC

6 posts in this topic

Hello, At the plant I work at there are devices with IP addresses starting with 192.168.0, 192,168.1, and 193.168.2 The SLC in question is on 192.168.2 We would like to access it from our laptops which are on 192.168.0 The laptops have their subnet mask set to 255.255.252.0 and we are able to pull see other controllers on the 192.168.2 network. However, for some reason we can't with this one, not even when I'm plugged directly into the Ethernet port on the controller unless we change our IP address to one on 192.168.2 I believe the subnet mask on the controller isn't set right. Can anyone tell what I'm missing here? Here's an overview of the current settings: Laptop: 192.168.0.20, 255.255.252.0 Controller: 192.168.2.17, 255.255.252.0 Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ben

Hi, Not an expert on this but as far as I know the 252 (11111100) on the mask should let you communicate with any device with a 0, 1, 2 or 3 in the same subnet. I suggest: 1. Check the network topology. Maybe your computer and the slc are not in the same subnet and the issue is a gateway configuration problem. 2. Try resetting the subnet mask to 0.0.0.0 and setting it up again. Make sure BOOTP be disable. Here is a link to a quick start guide for ethernet slc processors that might be of help http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/qs/1747-qs001_-en-p.pdf And please, let us know when you solve the problem Bye Edited by chantecler

Hello, Thank you for the reply. I'll try resetting the subnet and double check some things I read in the PDF you provided. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again, Ben

Check the subnet mask on the SLC. My guess would be that it's set to 255.255.255.0 and so is "ignoring" your laptop unless it's on it's own subnet

If you need to connect your company PC to a PLC that is not on the same subnet as your company PC you can...change the IP address of the Ethernet port on your company PC. Or get your boss to provide $ to purchase an Ethernet switch that supports Network Address Translation (NAT) to map the PLC Ethernet/IP address to an unused Ethernet/IP address on your company LAN.

Thanks for the help. I was able to finally work on it again today. After trying everything suggested with different masks, it turns out it was the processor module. After it was replaced, the subnet mask of 255.255.252.0 worked like it should have. Thank goodness we had problems writing to the processor from a panelview, as the processor we replaced had recently been installed and was supposed to be brand new. Thanks for the help. Ben