Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AB101

Ethernet calbe

5 posts in this topic

Hello. This is the first time I use Ethernet in PLCs. I want to connect a Compactlogix L24 with remote I/Os and Panelview. I have many questions . But can you help me select the type of cable for this application , 2 or 4 pairs? shielded or unshielded?

Man, that question is bound to get you 20 different answers. Personally I would say that it depends on the enviroment that you are installing your equipment in. If I am going to be running the cable through tough enviroments, be it possible physical damage, through bad enviroment, or areas that may have a lot of EMF/EMI due to High Voltage lines or VFD cable running near by, then I would use something like this: http://www.lappusa.com/5615description.htm When you go to this link, push the product finder drop down and choose "Etherline" and you can see the full line of product choises. I would terminate both ends of this larger than normal cable onto something like this at each end: https://www.phoenixc...&pdflanguage=en Make sure you get a proper "Punch Down Tool" to land the wires on these patch panels. Or they also make some that have screw lugs instead of punch down. Then just use preassembled patch cables from these punchdown blocks to the Plc/HMI/Switch/etc. If you are making your own patch cords or if you are not running your cable in a bad enviroment and want to just use a standard Cat5 or Cat5e cable then I usually use these to terminate on the end of this type of cable. http://www.platinumt...ucts/100003.php You will need to get the correct crimper, and you can get these in metal (to ground one side if you use "e" cable or the stadard plastic type RJ45 connectors. Others will have their favorites that they use which may work equally as good or better for your application. I am on ship so we tend to TRY and make things pretty bullet proof. BCS Edited by Bering C Sparky

OK. I did learn with your Info. Thank you for your time.

The cables and parts mentioned above are great. However, standard cat 6 cable run in conduit, or inside of Teck cable will work fine in most circumstances. Use shielded when you're running it in MCCs. Standard RJ45 connectors work as well, although there is one industrial RJ45 from Pheonix Contact I like to use. They are $15 each though, while standard RJ45s are $0.10-0.50 each, so it depends on customer requirements. Edited by MrAutomation

I too would suggest a good quality cable like the LAPP, we currently use most any of the Belden 79XX series. Good cable with ready stocked here in the US.