Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chupa

Changing IP of a PanelView without project file

4 posts in this topic

I am reassigning some IPs on my plant floor. I don't have the project file for any of the PanelViews. I have uploaded the run time application file and used application manager to restore the project. My question is can I successfully change the communications IP of the PLC that PV connects too using this method? That is: going to the communications setup and re applying the target device to the new IP of the PLC. Then creating the runtime and downloading to the PV. Will that work well or am I going to run into issues that I am not aware of? Thanks!

Yes, you can. However, be aware that restoring the project scrambles your user data. So you will need to know all the usernames, passwords and permissions that existed on the PVP before you uploaded it, and re-enter them manually. Also, make sure that you copy the new IP address to both the design and runtime tabs! Lastly, make sure that your PV is set to overwrite the RSLinx Enterprise setup when it runs the file. Hope that helps! As always, make sure you keep an untouched backup copy of the original .mer file, so that if it all turns sour you can put it back and get yourself out of trouble.

You can also change the IP of the PLC directly in the panelview, in the config screen. No uploads or downloads required. I would recommend using the upload/download method anyways, as it's good to have backups copies.

I agree, always best to do it in the file rather than on the hardware. If you DO want to do it on the hardware, you have to do the opposite of what I cautioned before - make sure that your PV is NOT set to overwrite the RSLinx Enterprise setup when it runs the file. i.e. tell it to use it's own internal IP address targets, not the ones from the file it's running.