Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jezz

Rs Logix500

10 posts in this topic

Hi all I use RS Logix 500 for slc programing at my work, and would like to have a version at home but as we only have one licience I can't use it,can I get a demo version from anyware as I only need it to write on as I can use the software at work to transfer programs to plc. Thanks Jezz

Check this out - I haven't tried it myself but the price (free) looks pretty good for a "getting started" set up - although it might not support your model of SLC. Free RSLogix software starter package there's a link on the right under "Get Software" - I've heard that you can get a small MicroLogix and a programming cable to go along with this software for about $200. Let us know how this works out for you. Good luck, Ron

I believe the software is only for the MicroLogix 1000 10-point controllers.

I think you're right - but I know a lot of beginners are looking for something cheap just to play around with at home - and it's sure hard to beat "free" software. I'd like to know how this works out - will it do enough to help learn the basics? Best regards, Ron

You can install the software without installing the activation, just un-check that option when it comes up during the install process. Then,in an emergency, such as if you lost the hard drive that had the original install on it, you can use the original activation floppy disk as a "key" disk until you can get a replacement or the reset code from AB. I don't think you are allowed to do that except in that situation. I think the only other way is if the activation is installed on a local network server and no one else is using it at the time you want to use the software. You might consider using PCAnywhere to connect to the computer at work and do the actual programming on the work computer. I hope this helps. Sid

If you install the software on your computer at home (choose not to move the activation) you can simply insert the 3 1/2" activation floppy into the drive (even if the activation has been moved to another computer) and you will be able to use the software at home. Althought I don't believe this is exactly legal, and I'm not sure if your superiors will go for that either. But, it can be done. The disk is supposed to be used in an emergency. If the harddrive with the activation on it crashes, you can use the disk and software on another computer to get you by until you get a reset code. Allen Bradley keeps a very close tab on the licensed user of the software and the serial numbers, so be careful.

You can get it working but this requires norton Ghots2000 or later. This is what you do, first make an image of the drive with the activation key for your case the work pc. Then use the activation disk and remove the key to the floppy disk. Use ghost to restore the image of your pc. Everything will be restored and you have a disk with an activation use this to activate the software on your machine. If you don't know how to use Norton ghost, learn it's not difficult takes a little "guts" there some messages that can be intimidating. This works I've seen someone do it.

excuse me, but wouldn't this be an example of software pirating? - which is not only a violation of law - but also a breach of personal integrity - if you want to legally use the software on two machines (but not on both at the same time) - look into moving the activation to a "key disk" (a spare floppy) - you can move this "key disk" from one machine to another - and keep the "master disk" safely stashed in a desk drawer -

What Big Brother sugested, is the best way to go. Monseth Enterprises

I would not suggest copying a master key disk. This is possible, but it is piracy. The best "legal" bet would be to temporarily transfer the license to your home PC or use the master key in your floppy drive without transferring the license (I think you can still do that). I don't know many employers that would like that. You set yourself up for trouble if you damage the key. I have seen a number of posts asking for "free" or "cheap" ways to program AB PLCs. The first rule to remember is that "free" and "cheap" should not be used in the same paragraph as Allen-Bradley.