Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
M302015

DH+ via 1784-KTX Card on new PC

8 posts in this topic

Hi, Good day to everyone. Wish you could share information on my issue. There is this one PC standalone, Win NT, iFix 3 SCADA, DH+ via 1784-KTX Card for monitoring only. The client is asking for replacement. I am planning to put into a new PC, and new SCADA maybe Wonderware. I'm thinking like, I need to get the existing 1784-KTX Card and install it to the new PC, put the necessary drivers. And I plan to use Allen Bradley AB1784KT IO Server , version 7.5.0.4 and link it my SCADA. What other things that I need to consider in buying a new unit? What other things that I need to consider like licenses on the AB side? I would appreciate for your guidance. Thanks. M302015 :) Edited by M302015

I have used the KTX card many times in the past, but have not touched a DH+ network in years. This is an old-school ISA card. The replacement for this was the 1784-PKTX. Do your homework on the hardware and software specifications for this card to run on. I suspect it probably won't be supported in Windows 7 operating system. http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1784-um527_-en-p.pdf The 1784-KTX card (ISA slot) you reference was discontinued in 2010. http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellautomation/solutions-services/capabilities/migration-solutions/product-search/results.page The 1784-PKTX card (PCI slot) is still available. Note that the 1784-PKTXD is a dual channel (a feature different than the 1784-KTX). http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellautomation/solutions-services/capabilities/migration-solutions/product-search/results.page

Thanks Sparky. I appreciate for your info. I plan that I could still utilize the existing card from the old PC, if it meant to be a Win XP unit then I will. What other things that I need to consider like licenses on the AB side? thanks.

you may also have a problem getting pc's these days even with a pci slot......and I'm not sure the drivers would work if he's using WIn7 or Win8 (god help us all).......a better solution might be to get a ControlLogix (any processor would work) and place an ethernet card and a DH+ card into the rack. Use the ControlLogix to poll the DH+ network and use the ethernet card to connect to nearly any pc with an ethernet port. It also puts them on the path to getting out of the DH+ world as its getting harder to support....

I thank you for this option. This might be a possible last resort if the client is willing to spend. Its a PLC5 actually an old one. I also have concern with the licensing of the RSLinx on the unit. From my reading, there should be a tool from the package where I can transfer the license into a USB, is it? Other says, if none, I need to call AB support, they might deactivate and then issue a new one. Should this be the case? The client dont have any documentation at all including the possible floppy disk with the keys, or anything. I'm just new to AB brand here, sorry. I would appreciate for your input regarding how can I transfer the AB license from the old unit. I dont have much time visiting the site, but I'm researching all possible steps to go through getting all the needed info from the old unit, once I get there again. Thanks. :) Edited by M302015

if its an older version it used Master Disks (3-1/2").....unless the client has kept up his licensing I don't believe you can switch to a USB. If you have the Master disk you can transfer the license from the current pc onto the disk. Then you can reinstall the license onto another pc. I'm not sure, but it may not work on Win7 or Win8. If thats the case you'll need to purchase another license. If all your licenses are already FactoryTalk then you should be able to transfer them onto a Rockwell USB. You will need to contact your distributor and purchase it from them. Use the license facility in FactoryTalk to transfer onto the USB stick.

Replace the PLC5 with a ethernet model like a PLC5/20E (you can get them used for AUS $5k) probably cheaper in singapore . its a simple slot mount replacement of hardware,the software migrate for the PLC 5 is easy (a 3 minute job with rs logix, open the file offline and change processor type, resize data table when prompted) then use ethernet for comms. i have done this many times in my plant Edited by EICS

The 1784-KTX is no longer available and AB recommends the 1784-U2DHP.  Another Wonderware DH+ converter option is the Automation Networks http://www.automation-networks.com ANC-120e, USB to DH+ PLC Programming Cable. It works great with the WW DAServer (ABCIP) and is priced under $1,000 USD.   It also comes in a "pocket-sized" ANC-100e, Ethernet/IP to DH+ with Din Rail/Desktop.  All ANC DH+ converters have auto configuration with makes things much easier for setup and fast throughput as it uses the Controllogix Ethernet/IP Driver, even in USB format.

Thanks Mathew