Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wal

Script languages for HMI programming

5 posts in this topic

Hi to everybody. Last years I use C# for programming Beijer IX panels and enjoy it. Found some solutions which may be usefull for other HMI as well. The questios is, what languages they demand for scripting? In Mitsubishi GOT manual is written "C-like language". What about other platforms used usually with Allen Bradley, Schneider, Omron, Siemens...?

In my experience they vary widely. I don't usually have to do much with scripting, and have only used it in Mitsubishi and Red Lion. Not all the Mitsubishi GOT have scripting, only the better models. I haven't used it much, but it's pretty basic. I certainly wouldn't call it "C-like". The Red Lion panels have a terrific scripting engine. I recently did a fairly simple application using a Red Lion Graphite with onboard digital I/O and an attached barcode scanner to control another piece of equipment using serial commands. I skipped the PLC entirely, and used the scripting in the HMI to do barcode verification, serial control, and simple sequencing. It's what I would call "C-like". To my knowledge, Allen-Bradley doesn't have any scripting in the PanelView Plus, just something they call "macros" which are just a way to dynamically generate a tag value. I believe there is scripting in their panel PC line of interfaces, but I haven't used it.

Thank You Jeremy, this is very interesting. If I find Red Lion HMI, will try the scripting. Another questions: what operating system are used by HMI? Beijer IX use Windows CE, the Siemens panels as well (?). Mitsubishi GOT have their own operating system. What about others? A couple or years ago some HMI with Android were offered in the internet. Edited by wal

Hi Wal, Yes, the different brands usually support various programming languages. I guess this makes the applications easy built and more efficient, because as we know that some functions might not be supported by the ladder languages. You can find some PLC types and the supported programming languages in the ICP DAS USA. http://www.icpdas-usa.com/advancedsearch.html#shopbyprogramminglanguage?r=Kaan Thank you,

The GE-IP QuickPanel+ units have scripting also. One can select from either a propietary 'View Script' language or the classic VisualBASIC or VB scripting. They also can be used to control Remote I/O over Etherent using Ladder Logic. The OS on the QuickPanel+ is Windows 7 embedded.