Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ben

CJ2M-CPU35 Internal I/O area

5 posts in this topic

Hello everybody! I have a question about the CIO are usage. The software manual W473 says thsi area CIO 3800 to CIO 6143 can be used in program (only). So I think I can use any of these bits/words in the program. However, I am trying to standardise some area for Axis Input and outputs for mutpliple stations and even for future projects. Hence the question to the masters, is there any restriction in using this area freely in the program?

Ben, That is correct, but I would recommend using up all of the W (Words W0 - W511) area before you use this area.

Michael, Thanks for quick reply. I did see this recommendation in software manual as well. Is there a reason though? My question on this forum actually is to understand if there is any technical reason! Total for In and out words from 16 axes is 16 x 25 x 2 = 800, the W area can only give 522! CIO area also gives some flexibility like stating Out at x000 and IN at X500 etc. which can remain unchanged for any number of axes. W on the other hand can be used for HMI and some other specific program use. Any thoughts?

I'm not sure why Mike is recommending using up the W area first?? The CIO are from 3800 up is beyound the range of device I/O and can be used for anything you want to. I normally reserve the W area for temporary registers (math calculations, etc) and HMI communication.

The reason that I (and the manual and Omron programming courses) recommend using the W area first is that it is open for you to use for whatever you want and there is no chance of you accidentally using an address that is a predefined memory area (or might be used as a predefined area in the future). That is the only reason. Using the W-Area for internal non-retentive bits and words first has kind of become a rule of thumb over the years for this reason. Given your requirements (800 words), I would agree with your conclusion.