chelton

ETN21 FINS (udp) 1 PC running 2 applications

7 posts in this topic

Is it possible to have 1 pc communicate with 1 PLC with 2 different applications using fins/udp If I have citect connected to a cj2 using the omfins driver that uses fins/udp on port 9600 I cannot connect cx-programmer using the ethernet driver, I have to use the ethernet(tcp) driver. I tried adding another IP address to the NIC and setting a different node address in the ethernet driver but this did not work. Is this actually possible?

Not in our experience! We have encountered this may times, & just go with the FINS/TCP option. There are best practices when communicating to multiple PLC's as well (different UDP ports), or else the IO Server's tend to hang if a PLC is offline. The different UDP ports also become a problem when doing PLC-PLC comms, you have to make them FINS/TCP as the default is UDP..

Maybe you can change the port for one app. We had the configuration of CJ2-CPU33, CX-Supervisor connected using Ethernet/IP and custom app created in Visual Studio using example in W421_E1_02_CS1W_CJ1W_ETN21_Construction_of_Applications_Operation_Manual.pdf. this app was using udp protocol at first and it worked in parallel with cx-supervisor and later we've transitioned to tcp protocol, and it also worked (both example are in this manual). now I am not sure which port this app was using but I think it was 5999, since cx-s was probably using 9600 (you can not specify port with Ethernet/Ip so I guess this is as with Ethernet or Ethernet(FINS/TCP) - 9600). regards Edited by tashinz

For anyone interested I managed to get citect and cx-programmer communicating over fins/udp. It appears that the citect driver uses the same local port as cx-programmer, if you change the local port in citect on the "ports" special options with -LP20009 for example communications with both applications simultaneously is possible. @tashinz, I am using an etn21 so ethernet/ip was not an option. @lostcontrol, Thanks for the info regarding plc-plc communications
1 person likes this

With UDP FINS protocole each app on the PC must have a different node. By default app use IP end as node. Use routing table in the CJ Ethernet card to register nodes.

Can l communicate between CP1H (through CP1W-CIF41) & CS1D ( through CS1W-EIP21D)
?if yes, how? & Which software should I use?

First, what you need to know is FINS protocol use a node number and associate it with IP address end part as default in Address Conversion Mode Dynamic.

The PLC must use SEND and RECV command wich is WRITE and READ FINS command protocol.

When the PLC receive a command in this mode, it generate an internal table with node and IP end value. If another program use same node and same IP, there is a continous change of internal table.

You can use a different mode like Address Conversion Mode Static.

You must care because the CP1W-CIF41 have many restrictions (CP1H Dip Switch #4 ON on left port or CP1H Dip Switch #5 ON on right port). You must configure the CIF41 using "http://192.168.250.1/E00.htm"