Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
teal854t

PV plus 600 config screen

8 posts in this topic

How can I get to configure screen? I can't find a white dot. I tried usb keyboard ctrl, alt, shift, windows key and didn't work. When it boots up it shows pic below. Thanks

A white square appears in the lower left corner of the screen at the very beginning of the boot sequence and before it gets to the screen you are showing us. Touch that to get to the config screen.

There's no white square, nothing at all. As soon as I turn it on it shows the screen below. I connected laptop and was ale to save it as mer file. Now when I transfer it to another PV Plus 600 via thumb drive, it shows error: wrong firmware. What do i do next. Thanks

Maybe I'm wrong about the order of the boot sequence. I don't have a unit here to test. During the boot sequence, the screen is all black at one point, with maybe a couple lines of white text near the top? That's when the white square should appear in the lower left corner. If you're getting a wrong firmware message you need to change the firmware of the HMI to match the runtime (MER), or vice versa. The screen you pictured shows the firmware of the HMI to be version 7. I don't know if there's a way to check the version of the runtime file. To change the HMI firmware, you'll need to download the files from Rockwell, then use the Firmware Upgrade Wizard to load them onto the HMI. To change the runtime version, decompile the MER using the Application Manager. You'll have to redo the runtime security (if used) and the communication setup, as these don't usually survive. Then recompile and change the version with the dropdown box below where you type in the name of the MER file.

After doing what Jeremy sugest, you can also add a "Go to Config Screen" button to your application before downloading it to the PV again, this way it will be easy to get to your config screen anytime you want. Or uncheck the "Run Application at Start-Up" box on the Transfer Utility page, if you uncheck this box the PV will boot to Config Screen each time it starts up. BCS

Checking that box sets up the PV+ startup options, but I don't think unchecking the box resets them. In my experience it just keeps the PV+ from rebooting after the download completes. I regularly download runtimes this way, then use the config screen to reload and run the updated application (faster than rebooting). I've never had to fix the startup options after doing this. If you want to boot to config, you have to change the startup options from the config screens.
1 person likes this

Rockwell very conveniently got rid of the white square in one revision of firmware (v6.00 I think, although not 100% on that). Obviously they were made to realise that they'd been bl00dy stupid, and put it back on the next revision, but if teal854t is unlucky enough to have that particular firmware revision, you're in for a much harder time. First option, as one of the above post suggested, is to just use the existing firmware. If that PVP does have firmware version 6, you can create your .mer file as a version 6 and then you're away. Of course, the problem there (which was also alluded to above) is that to do that, you have to restore the runtime application back into FTView Studio, and then create a new runtime file. And when you restore the file, you corrupt all the security parameters (usernames and passwords). So you'll have to make sure that you know them, and put them back in manually, before you create the new runtime file. Next option would be to check the back of the unit, make sure there's not a "default" or "reset" button recessed into the case somewhere. Some units have them, and I can't 100% remember what they do but if you search the manual for it, it'll tell you what to do with it. Be warned, it'll probably wipe out any files on there, but if you've already got the .mer file, no big deal. Next option is to overwrite the runtime file with one of your own. The PVP isn't smart enough to distinguish between different files of the same name; if it's set to run "File_123" at startup, it'll run anything you put there called "File_123". So if you create an application that has nothing but a big "shutdown" button, call it "File_123", create the runtime application with the correct version of firmware, and download it, it'll run that file at startup and you can get back to the configuration screen, and from there you can update the firmware. Come to think of it, even if you create it in the wrong firmware version, you'll still achieve what you want to, because it'll try to run the file, say "sorry, no, wrong firmware version" and stay on the config screen. Either way, you win. If you've already uploaded the file from the PV you know what to call the file. Once again this option overwrites the files onboard, so make sure you have that backup! If all of that fails, there are even more tricks you can use, but these are the simplest and hopefully will get you where you need to go :)

Jeremy, Thanks for setting me straight on this, If you think it is right in your mind then it must be true? NOT!!! Just tried it and of course you are correct. Thanks for the education on this. BCS Edited by Bering C Sparky