Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

5 posts in this topic

I need to replace existing encoder with quadrature output which is failing. We need to have minimum measuring distance of 60 inches. The encoder installed by manufacturer is Temposonics R-series RHS0650UMSO1Q1AC10 The resolution can be lower than the current encoder, probably 500 counts/inch or higher would be OK. Do you have any product that can be used? I was thinking about string encoder but I am open to suggestions.

Unless there's a particular reason for finding another make and model (availability, reliability, etc.) it's generally much easier to use the same or very similar part. It would eliminate machine modification and program changes. That said, we'll need to know more about your application to make an intelligent recommendation, including environmental constraints.

A temposonic isn't a traditional rotary encoder as someone reading this might think. It's a magnetostrictive linear position sensor, meant to be installed inside a hydraulic cylinder. I've never heard of one of these using a quadrature output, which probably says something about the age of your device. Temposonic is a great name, we use them all over our facilities. Don't get anything else. You should probably upgrade to an SSI input. They also make an Ethernet capable model which supports Ethernet/IP (Rockwell), EtherCAT and Ethernet Powerlink. Contact your rep and get a replacement Tempo. That's my suggestion.

The encoder in question is no longer manufactured by Temposonics and since the controls are not PLC based, I don't really want to get into modifying PC programs and peripheral hardware to SSI. I don't even think my customer has the source code to make any modifications. But I did find replacement unit from Balluff, only connector pin-out is different, all other mechanical and electrical specs are the same.

Sounds like you've got the solution then. Go for it! Best of luck!