Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jack10101010101

Choosing the right OMRON PLC - Vacuum System

8 posts in this topic

Hi All, I'm hoping someone can help me. We're currently in the very early stages of re-designing how our vacuum system works. Currently we have 6 vacuum pumps supplying around 8 different packaging machines which we currently have to turn on and off manually depending on the demand on the machines. The challenge is to design and implement a part or fully automated system to control the current vacuum pumps - The key requirements are Supply must equal demand for the vacuum pumps - so they are only used when neededAutomatic switch-off when not in useCycling the use of the vacuum pumps so as not to overuse oneAbility to take a pump out of the loop for service/breakdownsManual override/shut-offScope for expansionUser-friendly interface (possibly touch-screen/wireless)I am a complete novice when it comes to OMRON PLC work and would like some guidance on possibly similar projects or at least pointing in the right direction with which PLC to go for. Thanks for your time Jack

What type of I/O will you be using? All digital inputs / outputs? Will there be any analog in or out? I am guessing from your description that it might all be digital.

Your topic title asks for the right PLC. The CP1L family will suffice for this job. That said, I'd dig deeper and choose CJ2; more expensive but more HP. Are the vac pumps inverter driven? Is the vac feedback a switch or an analog signal? Location of above drives/feedback? I've done a few cooling tower jobs with 6 or 8 fans, with the same ideas you've asked for. The principles would be much the same. Probably. Pp

Thanks for the quick responses guys, really appreciate it. We were looking at the CP1H... the vac pumps are not inverter driven (not worthwhile in terms of payback) the vac feedback, as above, would be an analog signal. The drives and feedback would be next to each other. That work on the cooling tower does sound similiar and quite interesting - have you any documentation? Regards

Hello Jack No documentation, I'm afraid, other than the program. If you have CX-P then you may be able to follow the FB I wrote. Let me know if you want it - pm me an email address. The CP1H is more than adequate for what you describe. As I said, a CP1L has no major disadvantage in this type of application. I see you're in the UK - our Omron support is unsurpassed. Pp

I agree, the CP1H should be able to do what you want. Do the transducers put out a mv signal? If so, you will need some sort of signal conditioner between them and the CP1H's analog input (to convert from mv to 0-10VDC or similar). You will need to either use the CP1H with built in analog, or you will have to add the CP1W-AD041 analog Expansion module.

congratulations pgi
I have an analog input cp1w ad041
the question
how do I set the parameters ya ??
 thank you