Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wpmccormick

Version Control

4 posts in this topic

Hello, We're an OEM and are using subversion to version control software for our system. System controller components include Logix 5000 platform PLC's, PanelView running FTV ME, OLDI SAM running Linux and custom applications (mostly Perl and C), Watlow RM temperature controller, PF VFD's and K300 Servos. We enforce svn locks on binary (acd and mer) files, since meging is not an option here. So this is all working pretty well, but my management team is insinting that we revision control everyting as a group. Using svn to make a snap-shot of everything and calling that a revision is not an issue, but making a small change to say, the HMI, then forces a new revision for the whole ball of wax, as it were. So I think this is silly, and we'd be better served by rev controlling individual program/platforms. I was wondering if there is anybody out here that might have some similar experience and/or willing to share any insight. Thanks, Bill

I have done contract work with an OEM that did something along those lines, though without the benefit of a version tracking software. Every time the HMI or the PLC was updated, they would version up both. Whether this was a good idea or not could be debated, but one big reason that they did it was to make sure that field upgrades didn't go haywire because of a mismatch between the HMI and PLC versions. A simple check on a maintenance screen would show whether the HMI version (fixed text on the screen) matched the PLC version (fixed in the PLC). Of course, this required the programmers to change those fixed numbers when making changes, but we would usually gather a list of changes and do them all at once to avoid too many incremental changes. I'm not sure that's useful, but there it is!

I liitle more info: We too display PLC and HMI version info to the user, but we do NOT make any effort to keep the numbering the same ... and I don't think we want to try to keep all controller/HMI programs in sync.

I guess that falls in the not useful category then!