Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
phuz

1734-IE4C PointIO strange behavior with CompactLogix L18

14 posts in this topic

I have used PointIO a few times, but this is the first time using an IE4C. The wiring seems pretty straight-forward with Ch0 going to terminal 0 and the common is on terminal 4, if used. I started off having a solid red status light for the network status, so I changed keying, reset the module, re-seated it and the TB3 base, and finally got a green status light for both, but I am getting ZERO data. The channel faults are all 0, and the data is all 0, regardless of what I put on the input. I put a simulator between terminals 0 and 4 and the data still doesn't change from 0. What's more strange is on occasion, I have gone into the IE4C properties and under the Module Info, it would sometimes show Unknown or "Control Techniques PLC" for the vendor. I have seen about 4 different serial numbers appear, and even the revision number has changed. If I hit reset module, it goes back to saying Allen Bradley with the correct serial number and correct revision number, but still does not give any data. I am assuming the module is bad and I have another one en route, but was curious if anyone could explain this because I haven't seen it on any type of module before.

Weird ! Very weird ! Is this connected to the POINTBus backplane on the CompactLogix L18 controller, or to a 1734-AENT on the network ? This almost sounds like a duplicate IP situation, if it's on the network.

Nope, this is local IO on the Compact backplane. I've tried it with and without power on the FP+ / FP-, with and without the common attached to the terminal 4. They are expensive little modules and I'd hate to see it end up in the trash. Edited by phuz

OK, replacement module shows up, and I am STILL not getting any data. I have the unit powered with 24VDC and I have 24VDC on the FP+/-. Since my transmitter is powered from the same 24vdc, I have the current input going into Ch0 (terminal 0) and nothing else connected. Oddly, Ch1 and Ch3 show data of "85" even though there is nothing connected. 0 and 2 show "0". Ch0 and 2 also show channel faults. Edited by phuz

Seems like a pretty straight forward module. What is the source device? Do you have a process meter/calibrator you can hook up to it to see if the problem might be the source?

Unfortunately I put 12mA on it from a separate source and still get nothing.

That's unfortunate. I was going to offer to let you borrow my process calibrator. Invaluable in trouble-shooting this kind of nonsense. My next step would be to look in the software for an enable bit to enable the channel I'm using, but I don't see it for that module. Do you have the Point I/O backplane size set properly?

I have to wonder if it needs calibrated, which I could do on the calibration tab. I mean it can't hurt at this point. I also may take this IE4C over to Fromm Electric and pop it in their demo L18 and see if that reads the data correctly.

I'd think you'd be getting uncalibrated data, but that it would still be changing, but you never know. The Siemens S7-1200 has a PID block that won't operate at all until you run the auto-tune function from the software, even if you cancel it half-way through. Fromm sounds like a good idea.

Thanks to a member on plctalk for shedding some light on this. https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/508507 508507 - CompactLogix 5370 L1 controller incompatible with 1734-IE4C firmware 3.001 modulesAccess Level: Everyone Date Created: 10/09/2012 09:23 AM Last Updated: 12/01/2014 10:49 AM QuestionWhy is the input data static from 1734-IE4C series C in CompactLogix 5370 L1 controller but works fine in 1734-AENT® chassis? Next, here are examples of typical conditions reported: L1 controller I/O status LED is solid green1734-IE4C module status LEDs appear fineOnline no errors are displayed in Controller I/O treeSame 1734-IE4C module works fine when placed in 1734-AENT® chassis AnswerUse 1734-IE4C module with firmware 3.002 or higher when using as local expansion Input module with CompactLogix 5370 L1 controllers. 1734-IE4C series C module firmware 3.001 is not compatible with CompactLogix 5370 L1 controllers. Note: 1734-IE4C module firmware is not field upgradeable.

Ah yes. Firmware. *spits and throws salt over shoulder*

Unfortunately since you can't update these modules in the field, I had to buy a new one. Now with the 3.4 firmware version, all is well!

Wow.

Yes, that was my reaction too. What are the odds? An L1x series processor and 3.1 IE4C module and I happen to have both.