Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
misel00

Modbus tcp to communicate Quantum to GE Fanuc

3 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! I'm new around, and have been looking for some tips on communications. I need to communicate a Quantum PLC (master) to a GE RX3i. I was thinking on working it out through IOScanning, for it seems the best way to read and write data. On the other hand, I think to download this new config, the PLC must be stopped, so direct messaging seems the alternative. I must say this is my first time actually configuring modbustcp comms, so I want to make sure it works out. The comms are like this: i- Quantum reads a series of variables (holding registers, right?) and uses them for logics and for magelis. ii- Quantum must write very few registers to Fanuc, so if I configure IOScanning with, say, %MW350, will it deposit the data on %R40350? Does this standard addressing mean I actually get the info on %R350? iii- Does direct messaging config require to stop PLC for addition of blocks? This Quantum was programmed on FBD, which I'm really not that familiar with. Please help me, I want to use the most reliable messaging for this are somewhat critical processes.

I know nothing about the Quantum, but most of the RX3i processor Ethernet porst will support replies to a MB-TCP Master but it may need to be "turned on" in the hardware configuration of the port. Which port are you looking to talk to? Edited by RussB

Yes, by changing of configuration (also changint any value I/O scanner) you need to stop the PLC and load the full application. Just use READ_REQ and WRITE_REQ blocks for holding registers, if it not enouth you can also use MBP_MSTR block.