Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
max2554

Brand New to the PLC world

5 posts in this topic

Hey all, I am new to this forum and you must excuse my poor understanding in regards to some of my questions, I was pretty much thrown into the fire. I have tasked to attempt to fix a PLC system…without going into my 3 weeks of learning ,troubleshooting, I believe I found the answer but it looks to be costly, but before I present this I wanted to get some opinions: So I am using the RSLinks Classic with the most updated firmware, when I go to RS Who I noticed when selecting the 176-L61 Logix5561 I noticed on the STATUS it reads Major Fault That is on Address 00 01 03 04 05 There seems to be some communication, there is an IP associated to the device and I can remote into it and I cannot see anything that remotely says that there is a problem…. If anyone could give me some insight to understand what the MAJOR DEFAULT error represents that would be great, can it be fixed with the purchase of a new one? I have attcahed a snapshoot on what I see.. Regards Max

Major fault can be a number of things. You need to get online with the PLC using RSLogix 5000 and open the controller properties. That will have more detailed information about the cause of the fault.

Thanks Jeremy, I looked every where for the TSLogix5000 software on the PC and could not find after reading about this 1756-61 I found out that the PLC was set to REM rathern than RUN and the battery was low, so had that resolved and now it reads active... So I am heading in the right direction(I hope) Had another question I started a log and it reads: Received an error attempting to upload the controller scoped tag information might you know what casuses this and point me in the right direction on how to begging to fix this issue. thanks Max

RS Logix 5000 is a must, and it has to be the same firmware revision as the processor. You get all the older versions when you buy the newest, but you have to install each one you want to use. Unless you get lucky, you will need to get the software to diagnose and resolve the fault. The battery is used to store the program on the processor through power outages. If the battery died, then that would explain a fault (no program) and the logging errors (no tags to log). The switch being in REM mode doesn't necessarily mean anything. There are really only two modes, PROGram (stopped) and RUN. When put in REM, the processor stays in whichever of the other modes it was already in, but also gives you the ability to change modes REMotely (i.e. from the programming software). A faulted processor will automatically drop into Program mode and needs to be put into Run mode once the problem is corrected.

Just an FYI, you posted this in the "Other PLC" section instead of the Rockwell/Allen-Bradley section where most people that could help you would be located. You might also want to try PLCtalk.net, which is 99% Rockwell.