Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest rfournier3

Slc5/05 Messaging

10 posts in this topic

I'm trying to set up SLC5/05 to SLC5/05 messaging over ethernet and not having any luck. I can see both processors in RSWho, but get an error 37 (message timed out in local processor) when my MSG read executes. I know that my IP address matches that of the processor I am trying to read from. And I know that the data table addresses do exist in both the local and the target PLCs. I've looked through online help, all of the knowledgebase articles, and talked to AB tech support. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might have missed? Thanks. Rich

Have you started with basic network troublshooting first? Are you running 10 mb or 100 mb? network? I have trouble running 100 MB with PLC5's and 5/05 CPUs, when I converted it to 10 mb network, everything went stable! Just a thought... Anyway.. Can you open a DOS command prompt when you are connected to your network from your laptop and type this: ping (ip address of SLC #1) example command: ping 192.168.0.100 and can you ping the ip address of SLC #2? Let us know what you find out with your PINGS... Are your SLC's in the same sub net? example: 192.168.0.x SLC #1 might be: 192.168.0.100 and 192.168.0.x SLC #2 might be: 192.168.0.101 Let us know!

Rich: Just wondering if you are using channel 1. Here is some info. from the help file. For SLC 5/05 Ethernet Controller Channel - identifies the physical channel used for the message communication. Ethernet communication is via channel 1. Control Block Length - When using channel 0 this is fixed at 14 and cannot be altered. When using Ethernet channel 1 this is fixed at 51 and cannot be altered.

Describe your channel configuration for Channel 1 and also the information in your MSG block. Is this the only MSG block in this program, or are there several? What about the destination CPU ?

Rich, I have very little experience with this setup - but could the following have anything to do with it? --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- IP Address The processor's internet address. You must specify the IP address to have the processor connect to the TCP/IP network. Each field of the address should contain a decimal integer between 1 and 254 (zero and 255 are reserved for broadcast purposes). An IP address must be specified to have the SLC 5/05 processor connect to the TCP/IP network. You can specify the address manually, or enable BOOTP to provide the address. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This note shows up when you click "Channel Configuration" - "Channel 1" - "Help" button. If I read this correctly, then an address such as "192.168.0.1" might give you a problem. The "0" should be changed to something else - but not to "255". According to this, if you're using addresses which include "0" or "255" then you can expect trouble somewhere down the line. Good luck. Ron

Thanks for the suggestions. Here's what I have done so far. SLC #1 is configured at 10.10.10.11 and SLC #2 at 10.10.10.50. Both processors have a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and a gateway of 0.0.0.0. I can see both of the SLCs from RSWho and can ping them both from the command prompt. I am using a dual speed hub, but the 10 Mbps light is on, so I assume they're communicating at 10 Mbps. I was planning to use 4 MSG instructions, but have deleted all but one until I get this working. There are no MSGs in the target device. My one MSG (read) is set up as follows: I have a free running 30 second timer currently executing the MSG, that timer DN bit is latched in with the MSG enable bit. I also have the rung following the MSG rung that unlatches the enable bit on MSG done or MSG error. Type is Peer to Peer Read/Write set to Read Target Device is 500CPU Local/Remote set to Local Control Block is N21:0 Control Block Length is 51 Inside the MSG, I have for "This Controller" Data Table Address N7:11 (it does exist) Size in Elements is 2 Channel set to 1 For the Target Device: Timeout is 23 Data Table Address is N7:158 (also does exist) Ethernet Address is 10.10.10.50 Rich

Rich, Everything looks good from here - just a suggestion: Instead of the timer/latch/unlatch rungs - just condition the MSG rung with an XIC addressed to S:42/0 for testing purposes - this is a "built-in" flasher bit (based on the SLC seconds reading) which will close and trigger the MSG once every two seconds. That should at least eliminate some of the "could-it-be-this?" part of your problem. Also - but I'm sure you've already thought of this: You say that N7:11 exists in "This Controller" - you also need N7:12 - since you're trying to move 2 words. For the same reason, you must have N7:159 existing in the "Target Device". Good luck, Ron

Try setting the gateway address on all to: 10.10.10.1 I don't know if it makes any difference, but someone else suggested it on one that I was having trouble with. I also use a one-shot bit (OSR) to trigger the msg box for a single scan. That information also came from someone else. Sid

I have a demo program that shows how to program a SLC5/05 to communicate with an external motion controller at : Demo showing how to communicated using SLC5/05 ethernet. Check out the rung that reads the motion controller status. It is simple and reads the status about every 28 milliseconds. Another helpful program: TCP demo program The TCP demo can be used to access integer files in a SLC5/05. This will verify your network hardware. I have had no problems mixing 10 and 100 mbs on the same network. The SLC5/05s communicate over Ethernet at 10MB/sec only. The gateway field can be left at zero, the mask is fine. I use the msg en bit to control activation of the msg block. See the demo program. One can copy the text out of the edit line and copy it into your posts so we all can see.

I would like to take this opportunity to welcome Peter Nachtwey to this forum and I'm glad to see his post here. For those of you who have not had the privilege to view some of his posts at PLCs.net, I encourage you to do so. Mr. Nachtwey went to work for Delta Computer Systems in 1985 and became president in 1992. The company excels in integrating motion of all types including servo, hydraulic and pneumatic, and also applies vision to industrial applications. Mr. Nachtwey is a frequent contributor to many of the trade rags and his latest articles can be found on the cover of the July/Aug issue of Motion Control (Veneer Lathe A-Peel ) and in the September issue of Control Solutions (Visual programming makes motion control applications quicker to develop and optimize). Peter, we appreciate your comments and invite you to register at MrPLC.com.