Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wal

QR Code on HMI

10 posts in this topic

Hi, Did somebody try or know how to create a QR code on HMI screen? The goal is quickly read data from PLC with a smartphone. regards, Wal

My thoughts would be this. You need to use a Windows Based HMI software, capable of issuing CMD commands. Then use the HMI to run a software package (maybe this one? https://code.google.com/p/qrencode-win32/) to generate a QR code and save the image somewhere, and have the HMI display the image. I'm not sure if FactoryTalk View SE is capable of displaying dynamic images like that, although I can think of some full blown SCADAs that would be able. I'm not sure what HMI you plan on using though. Another option is to pre-build and save the QR codes before hand, and then display them as needed. This would work on any HMI capable of displaying images, but wouldn't give dynamic information, as it's limited to whatever codes you pre-generated. Edited by MrAutomation
1 person likes this

Dear MrAutomation, thank You for the answer and good advice. We use Beijer iX Panels as HMI. They based on Windows CE operating system. I will try solution You recommend. Does it work with Windows CE? Before, an example for generating a QR code for Siemens WinCC was found: http://support.automation.siemens.com/AR/llisapi.dll?func=cslib.csinfo&objId=51418740&mlfbclusterid=34502257&nodeid0=16502367&load=content&prodLstObjId=21848767&subtype=130000?=en&siteid=cseus&aktprim=0&objaction=csview&extranet=standard&viewreg=AR As far as I know, WinCC use for HMI the Windows CE as well.

Just tried the qrencode-win32. Works OK, but this is not what is wanted. I do expect a script linked to some tags, and every time when the script is launched, an appropriate QR code image is renerated and shown on the HMI screen. Unfortunately, I haven't got the suitable software to test the example from Siemens. Did somebody try it?

Hi, I put this on my list to test and finally got to it. PeakHMI can, using qrcode.exe, generate an image and the image will automatically update on the window. I have a test project if you want it. Contact support for the project.

Thank You Mark. It is very interesting. I will try to get it. On which OS was it tested? Shoult it work with Windows CE?

Hi, PeakHMI is designed for Windows XP to 8, including embedded XP.

Most HMIs have screens with very low pixel density (DPI). I would be concerned that they would not be able to represent the QR code accurately enough to be read. I've routinely had bad luck trying similar things on a PC, while displaying the same images on my high density smartphone screen works well.

Hi gleblanc, thank You for the answer. My monitor has 800x600 resolution. Is it not enough?

We have done this in the software package that we make. It uses a python backend and a web interface so its really easy to implement. If you would like you could probably modify some of the python and use something like py2exe... Although if your interested we us ICScada on the biejer panels often. It would be really simple to do in the ICS web platform.