Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
strantor

Strange issue with PMCR's Omron ActiveX ethernet control

4 posts in this topic

I'm using PMCR's free ActiveX control to suck some parameters out of a CJ2M and into MS Excel. Firstly, Thank you PMCR for saving me thousands of dollars with this brilliant free tool! Secondly, it works great as long as I have windows network menu (for lack of the proper name) open, but I get an "error #6000 - Timeout" if not. What I mean by windows network menu: click on the "bars" signal display in the bottom right of the taskbar, by the volume control and date/time, and the list of wireless networks pops up - that's it - as long as that list is popped up, it works just great, but if not, not. That seems strange to me, as there is no actual correlation that I'm aware of, to that menu being popped up, and connectivity. All my other applications work just fine with the menu collapsed. I'm using a small wireless router connected to the CJ2M, and a Netgear USB WIFI dongle. This isn't a big issue and I'm not complaining about a gift, but I was just wondering if anyone has experienced similar and discovered a work-around. Thank you, Strantor

Strantor Thank you for letting me know about this. It is not something that I have seen before. Because that tool is written in VB6, it does not do the best job figuring out which Ethernet adapter to use if there are multiple open. What operating system is this on? Which adapter is set as the Primary adapter in Windows? You can tell which one is the primary by which one is at the top of the list in Control Panel / Network and Sharing Center / Change Adapter Settings / Advanced / Advanced Settings. If you don't see the menu bar to select Advanced, and you are running Win 7, click the Alt key once to bring up the menu.
1 person likes this

The list is in this order: Local Area Connection TeamViewer VPN Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Connection Local Area Connection 5 <<<<<-------USB WIFI dongle, for PLC Wireless Network Connection 4 Wireless Network Connection 3 <<<<<-------Integrated laptop WIFI NIC [Remote Access connections] I've never seen the above list, and prior to you instructing me how to access it, I always assumed that Wireless Network Connection 3 (onboard WIFI) was the primary. But actually the USB dongle is higher priority than the onboard NIC. Should I rearrange my adapters? Put the USB dongle at the top? Thank you again for the free tool, and now also for the tech support!

Strantor I am glad that you find the ActiveX tool useful. I would suggest re-ordering the adapters so that your USB dongle is the highest priority adapter in the list. PMCR