Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Michael Lloyd

Control Flash - Nothing to select?

8 posts in this topic

I am at a panel shop with a coworker and when I connect to a Compact Logix PLC (L32E) and clicked update firmware nothing shows up????? It's been about a month since I flashed a controller. Everything else is working fine. To make matters worse my coworker is seeing the same thing on his laptop. He's on a W7 box and I'm still on XP. He's using R21 and I'm on R19. Any ideas?

Some of the newer controllers come with a yellow sticker specifying which revisions of each level was required. When I first ran into this I found no firmware update files because I didn't have any of those revisions. I had to go to Rockwell to get the newest update files. Then everything was ok. This may be your problem.

Yes that's the first thing I would check. It's likely that you don't have the correct firmware for your hardware. Usually this has to do with Series A/B etc. When AB releases a new series, that means that there is a physical difference between the parts. Usually because an older part became unavailable. Try downloading the correct firmware. Edited by MrAutomation

Firmware or EDS file?

It looks like it works. I couldn't get a solid enough remote connection to the PLC to download it but it gave me the option to flash the controller to 19.015 Did Allen Bradley use CGI to design their website too??? That thing is a piece of crap

I would never, ever, ever flash a CPU while connected remotely. That's just asking for trouble. If your remote connection drops the ball you'll brick the CPU. For my money, I always connect directly to the PLC with a crossover cable, or else plug into a local switch and disconnect everything else from the switch. And yes, Rockwell's website is pretty special

I totally agree with ASForrest. I have had other manufacturers' devices lose connection when flashing firmware. It is not worth the hassle. I always connect direct.

've never flashed remotely. Thats a good point though. Even if it was safe it takes a long time to flash a controller when direct connected. I doubt if it's reasonable to attempt it over a slow remote connection. Thanks for the help