PdL

B&R 2005 convert to X20 platform

5 posts in this topic

For a client I need to quote replacing an existing control system with a B&R2005 controller for a B&R X20. I have absolutely 0 experience with B&R controllers, so I would be grateful if someone experienced in B&R controllers can answer the following questions and perhaps give me some advice. Can the original program of the B&R2005 be converted to a format that is suitable for loading in a B&R X20? If not, what would be the path to follow to get the original program converted? Do I need to have the offline files or can I make an upload of the existing program/configuration? What connecting cable do I need? What software licenses do I need? Are there any things to pay attention to when selection I/O units? Are there any things I should pay attention to in particular?Regards,

Hello, This request is not possible to answer in detail without knowing the hardware configuration in the system 2005 (the programming software and versions which were in use as the application was developed) But you can contact the responsible B&R office in your near - for sure they are happy to help you. http://www.br-automation.com/en/service/support-portal/

OK, thanks for your reply.. I was about to contact the local B&R office but I am always interested to hear opinions from the real world :)

1-2) As long as the original program was done in Automation Studio, there is an automatic upgrade path to the current version of Automation Studio; otherwise, you will need to manually duplicate the code into Automation Studio. There is a big difference between AS 2.5.X and earlier and 2.6-2.7 and a massive difference between 2.X and 3.X (the jump from 3.X to 4.X is much smaller). Because of this, they recommend you first upgrade to 2.7, then to 3.X, then to the latest version. If you have a license for a new version, that also allows you to install 2.7 and 3.X to complete the upgrade of very old projects. 3) You will need the source project, B&R only puts compiled code on the PLC by default, so unless you luck out and it is archived on the CF card with the compiled code, you will need to hunt this down (it's actually a little rare to find the source archived on the PLC, even now that there is a simple check box to do this). In older versions of AS, you had to transfer the source quasi-manually, usually to the User partition (F:\), which would require FTP to the PLC to access since CF card readers generally don't support multiple partitions. On newer versions of AS, the source is saved in a single archive with the rest of the system binaries and is pulled up using Automation Studio. 4) If there is an ethernet port, a standard ethernet cable, otherwise you need a serial cable with a null modem and a gender changer. You can also find null modem serial cables that already have the female end on both sides. 5) I'm not sure if you can pull off the upgrade with just the maintenance license, so you may need a full license of Automation Studio, which is not cheap. If the project was not originally done in Automation Studio, you will need to get that software (they'll give it to you for free if you have an AS license) and do a manual conversion of the code. 6) B&R's website is hands down the best of any Automation company, you can find detailed information on each IO slice there. The things to pay attention to are: Multi-funtion modules that can only do one or the other function (like high speed counter OR encoder input).Module power consumption, both IO and internal. You will need to use PS2100 modules to boost the output power supply if you have a lot of outputs. If you have a very large number of modules, there is a PS3300 module that will also boost the logic power supply (most modules use 0.7W of logic, there is an excel sheet in the help that will guide you)Potential groups. There are BM11 modules with IO power conductors on both side and BM01 modules with power conductors only on the right side. You use these to isolate output cards into groups of IO power with a module that supplies IO power (BR, BT, and PS modules). You can then cut the 24V going to the supply module during E-Stop to ensure the outputs can't energize.Node numbers for optional IO. Don't use a ZF module to reserve a spot, use BM05 or BM15, which allow you to skip node numbers.If you have IO on a powerlink controller and motion, you may want to split the IO racks up, especially if you are using safety. X2X is actually slower than powerlink, so you may have to increase your EPL cycle time because your X2X bus controller can't run that fast. Splitting the offending rack into two bus controllers will let the X2X keep up and let you run EPL faster.If you are using SDC (B&R's way to make steppers and VFDs act like servo motors), you will have to slow down your EPL network to match the SDC cycle on the PLC. You can't have super high speed servo motion and SDC on the same machine unless you are running a really beefy PLC (likely one of their faster APC offerings).Those are the big considerations that are often overlooked by my old sales guys. The usual non-vendor specific stuff applies as well, like making sure you aren't overloading outputs, sinking/sourcing-PNP/NPN, and 10V/20mA. 7) There are some things that can get you if you are upgrading a very old project. It sounds like you are doing a non-motion application since you didn't mention drives. If you have motion, B&R has vastly improved/changed the way you create and run an axis. In addition, older projects may have regional librarie, NCX in the US, PosLibs (I think) in Europe, that do not upgrade well.The way variable linking is stored in their visual components HMI editor (part of Automation Studio) changed a lot between versions. Occasionally, you can run into a situation where it will lose all the linking when upgrading from 2.X to 3.X. I don't know how that happens (opening the HMI before compiling, or the opposite are likely suspects). Always backup first just in case.Install Automation Studio to C:\BrAutomation, not the Program Files folder. Probably best to stay away from Windows 8 as well.

Hi there, how did this work out? Could you manage to convert in a good way? Thx BR BB