Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Romaru

Ethernet/IP adapters for PowerFlex40 Frequency drivers

4 posts in this topic

Hi guys. I have a control logix PLC 1756 with Ethernet network. I ran into following problem: Our Ethernet/IP adapters for PowerFlex40 Frequency drivers wear out very often, for example, we have about 10 PowerFlex40 with adapters and in average every 6 month 1 or 2 of them stop respond to PanelView. Before we just bought new one from our vendor and replace them. But now I want to find exact reason of it. When adapters stop respond to PanelView indicators of the adaptors are following: • Port – solid green; • Mod – flashing green; • Net a – solid red; • Net B – Off. According to manual for 22-COMM-EE adapters (22comm-um004_-en-p) problem is “The adapter failed the duplicate IP address detection test.”. And I have to “Configure the adapter to use a unique IP address and cycle power.” First of all I do not understand why IP address may stop being unique? I have no experience in such matters, so I want to make sure. All I need is to change IP address of adapter through RSLogix 5000 and that’s it? Or will I have to change IP address of adapter somewhere else in controller program? And when I try to connect to adapter through RSLogix5000 I have a pop-up window that adapter unable for connection. How else could I connect? Thanks in advance

Chapter 3 of your 22-COMM-E manual explains how to set the IP address. I have been using Rockwell's BOOTP Server software and it works great. After setting the IP you have to make sure you disable BOOTP on the adapter or it will revert back to getting its own IP address after a power cycle instead of using the IP that you assigned. Maybe this is why you are getting the duplicate IP error? Do your errors occur after power cycles usually?

Yes, errors occur always now. It's impossible to operate PowerFlex40 from PanelView since error appears. I want to clarify the situation. I have never changed any IP addresses of adapters, our vendor made it before. When I mount a new adapter it starts to work fine. And I don't need to change IP or another settings. So your assumption may not be true because I did not set IP addresses at all.

The error does not necessairly mean that the adaptor's IP changed. It could mean that some other device was also assigned the same IP. You must keep careful control of all IPs used in the control network including devices, like programming computors, which may only occasionally be attatched to the network. Verify if the adaptors actually had a changed IP. Edited by b_carlton