Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scada Tom

Another ModBus Question

5 posts in this topic

I have an instrument with Modbus RS485. Whats the best way to send that data to a AB SLC 5/05 PLC?

This is the easiest way: Use a Prosoft In-Rack Modbus Module.

Hi Scada Tom, Most of our AB PLC customers are using the ICP DAS USA' s GW-7472 EtherNet / IP to Modbus RTU / Modbus TCP Gateway. The master side and slave side is also important for this gateways, I suggest you to check the website and you can find appropriate gateway for your application. Here is the link for GW-7472 : http://www.icpdas-usa.com/gw_7472.html?r=Kaan

I've used both the ProSoft and the Red Lion gateways with good success. Moderately inexpensive and easy to setup. Just followed Emperor's link, the ICP looks nice a very "cost-effective"! Edited by a062549

You could also look at the Digi One IAP. It has 232, 485, and Ethernet, and you can connect the Ethernet to your 5/05, the 485 to your serial device and send MSG commands in your 5/05 ladder as if you were talking to another SLC. About $500. I just set up a system like this a week or so ago interfacing from a 5/05 to ABB ACS-550 VFD's and it worked like a champ! Edited by Controls Guy