Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gromit

1784-pcmk card replacement

8 posts in this topic

I have a 1784-pcmk card that I currently use to connect to PLC5 DH+ port; however, my laptop is being replaced with one that does NOT have a pcmcia slot. question-1: can I utilize a usb-to-pcmcia adapter to connect to a PLC5 DH+ port through a VM drive on my laptop? question-2: is there a replacement to the 1784-pcmk card that connects to my USB port and can be accessed through my VM drive? question-3: is there any other recommended method to connect to the PLC5 DH+ port??? Thanks .

The only supported method is the 1784-U2DHP. It's a USB to Data Highway Plus adapter that was designed to work with modern operating systems and PC hardware, to replace the 1784-PCMK family cards. There are some third party DH+ interfaces, or you could use ControlLogix modules to make an Ethernet/DH+ bridge. I have heard of some people successfully using a Duel Systems PCMCIA/USB adapter, but not with a Virtual Machine. One way to use a VM with a hardware adapter on the host is to use RSLinx Gateway on the host; it will allow guest VMs to connect to the host RSLinx session over TCP/IP.

Great information Ken!!! So, with the 1784-U2DHP module, will I be able to connect to a DH+ port through the RSLinx software running on my VM drive on my laptop???

As far as I know, yes. I haven't used one myself, but VMware generally handles the pass-through of USB devices of this type well.

awesome, Awesome, AWESOME!!! much appreciated.

Might be fair to mention I priced a 1784-U2DHP and was told it was $2200. That's about a year old quote too. Might be a good argument for a systems upgrade!!!

Here is one for a little less. Plus extras cables. http://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-1784-u2dhp-used-usb-to-data-highway-plus-with-adapters/ Edited by Mickey

Thanks Mickey. Good stuff.