Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kseafield

HMI Comms

11 posts in this topic

Hi guys, hopefully someone here has a logical explanation for me on this one. We ran some Cat6 cable from a HMI (Proface) to a switch about 50 meters away, that was connected to a laptop (from the dumb switch) for remote viewing. On the HMI side we terminated the cable with a normal RJ45 plug connector which went into a dumb industrial switch in the control panel. On the laptop side we done the same going into another switch. After all this, I couldn't establish any comms from the laptop to the HMI and after a whole day messing around with this, which included cable testing using two different cable testers that showed good connection statuses.....Someone in the office suggested using RJ45 socket connectors and normal pre-made patch leads from there on both sides. I wasn't convinced that this would work but was willing to try anything and done it, after we changed the connections over the comms worked immediately without issues. I've been working in the automation industry for a while now but haven't seen something like this before, does anyone have a logical explaining for me???

I would blame it on a bad termination. Or possibly using a crossover when not needed (or vice versa). Not much else you really can blame it on.

Custom made cables can be a pain. Crimp connections not fully compressed. a wire slips out of order and is crossed with another, wires not deep enough into the crimp connector to mate up..

Did the same guy do both ends of your Cat6??? There are two standards for the RJ45 plug, T568A and T568B. If one end is done one way and the other end is done the other way you end up with a crossover cable. If both ends are the same the cable will work.

Crimping 8P8C connectors onto wire is always good for a service call. It is too easy to screw up, using the wrong connectors for the wire, or the wrong crimper for the connectors (yes, there are different crimpers for different manufacturers). I insist on ALWAYS using a punchdown termination, and premade patch cables for trouble free operation. Oh, and "RJ45" has Nothing to do with Ethernet. The RJ45 Telecom Registered Jack Standard uses the same 8P8C connector system, but it isn't Ethernet.

I often do it both ways. If running long distance or in bad enviroment I use a heavy duty cable such as Lapp Stuttgart Etherline Cable and land it onto single point punch down blocks such as Phoeinx Contact FL-PP-RJ45-LSA, then use smaller patch cords from these. http://www.lappusa.com/Spec_Template3.asp?nGroupID=5600 https://www.phoenixcontact.com/online/portal/us?uri=pxc-oc-itemdetail:pid=2901645&library=usen&pdfmode=direct&pdflanguage=en When making my own patch cords or making short runs of standard type ethernet cable in enviroments that are not too bad, then I always use Platinum Tools EZ-RJ45 Connectors and Crimper. http://www.platinumtools.com/products/100003.php The EZ-RJ45 Connectors let the conductors extend all the way out past the end of the connector so you are sure each wire will be seated in place and in the correct order every time. The crimper tool then trims the conductors off clean. Since switching to these methods I have not made one bad connection and it saves lots of time. BCS

I have fallen in love with these phoenix contact RJ45 connectors. They are designed for industrial use and reliability, with a built in strain relief. You can even open them up to double check terminations and fix mistakes! - Video Removed - Here's a link to a better product overview instead Edited by MrAutomation

Mr Automation, Could you please post the part # for the Phoenix part you are talking about. Unfortunately my IT Department Blocks anything YouTube or Streaming Video so I cannot see the part you speek of. (I would like to check it out and see if its something I might be interested in purchasing) Thanks, BCS Edited by Bering C Sparky

Here's a link to some european website that has it. The Pheonix Contact website is awful, unfortunately. It's got a video and pictures. You'll notice on the video that there is a clip to connect to the braided shield of your CAT6 cable. You don't need to use shielded cable. I use these even on cables without shields (and some with) and would recommend them no matter what type cable you use. Edited by MrAutomation

Phoenix Contact has very good field sales group and they have often given me the connector/cable I have inquired about. Maybe worth a try...

Holy cow, $18 per cable end?!? I can hire my electricians to come out, make up, and certify cables for cheaper than that! On a related note, if you're making cables without having a cable tester, you're doing it wrong. I like this one, as it has quite a few bells and whistles, plus an LCD which can make figuring out what you did wrong a bit easier. http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=8128