Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Phil Izak

Kinetix 6500 questions.

11 posts in this topic

Good Morning Everyone, I upgraded one of our pieces of equipment about a year ago with Kinetix 6500 drives and compactlogix PLC. Every once in a while, the motion commands will error out, not always the same error. The erroring out isn't necessarily the problem, what is the problem is that resetting these errors doesn't always take. I issue the Motion Axis Fault Reset command to each of commands that have errored out, but they don't always take. I'm not sure if I'm missing something or what. If anyone has an explanation on what I may be doing wrong or an alternate plan of attack when these errors occur, I would be much appreciative. Thank you, Phil

What are the different errors that you are getting? They may lead to a clue as to what's causing the error. Sometimes it's just a matter of timing the commands. For example, if you enable the axis then command a move too quickly, you'll get an error that the axis isn't in the right state. I've had programs that had intermittent problems with this, sometimes it would work and sometimes not. I usually add a delay timer for that particular problem. In some cases you may need to issue a Motion Axis Shutdown Reset (MASR) in addition to a Fault reset. Again, depends on the error.
1 person likes this

It seems to always be an open servo loop, or drive not enabled error. Although I have never been able to track down the issue, if it opening, it is happening faster than I can see it happen. The other issue I have is when trying to reset the motion fault, it sticks, and doesn't reset. Sometimes I have to restart my reset routine 4 or 5 times before it finally triggers.

Yes, those are the two you'll get if the servo is not "ON" when you issue the motion command. You might check how your MSO and MSF commands are implemented. If you can make sure that the servo is actually active before issuing a command, then you may be able to avoid the errors altogether. You can use "AxisTag.DriveEnableStatus" for this. You might also find that the problem is in the actual MSO command. I was troubleshooting a 6500 system where the axes would occasionally not enable. They were programmed to enable as soon as the safety circuit reported "OK", but there was a timing issue where the PLC would sometimes see the OK and try to enable the servos before the safe-torque-off on the drive itself was cleared. A timer fixed that. When the fault "sticks" is it the same fault over and over again? Could something be trying to continually re-initiate a command and not allow enough time for the condition causing the error to clear first? Can you post your program?

This is really basic, but was eye opening to me. In the MSG instruction you trigger a second message when the first is done and all is usually well. With a motion instruction the Dn bit just means the servo got the message not that it has acted on it. Be sure you're checking the IP and PC bits of the preceeding instructions before issuing the next message instruction. For example MSO and MAM in succession, the MAM should trigger off MSO.DN and not MSO.IP and MSO.PC to be robust. And as Jross mentioned you might even add a few ms delay to help also.

Jeremy and Bob, It is the issue I get repeatedly. I am issuing all motion commands with a one shot, as well as, checking the enabled and dcbus status bits before issuing a command. Also Bob, I am using the IP and PC bits to make sure that the previous command has finished prior to issuing the next command. This is what has me a little confused as to why I still get the error sporadically. Thanks

Which instruction is the error on?

i have had it on different ones. I've had it error on Motion Servo On/Off, forward, reverse, home. It is very random which is why it's hard for me to track down.

Sounds like you've got that part worked out, but if you want a second set of eyes to look at the program, email me. In the meantime, start looking for a non program cause. Check that wiring is tight particularly the safe torque off, swap out a different servo drive head module, generally look for something outside the servo that could cause it to disable.

I have very limited knowledge about this, but I did have to use the MASR, and it seems to work for me every time.

What processor and firmware are you using? What firmware revision are the drives at? We had a bunch of issues a year back and had to upgrade the firmware on the drives to V2.10 I think it was. Have a read of the latest release notes for the latest firmware revision. This is always an interesting read :)