Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest EastWest

SCX6 SCADA Package

3 posts in this topic

Hay Does any body out there know anything about a SCADA software package called? SCX 6. I have been using Citect, CME & WonderWare for a few years now and have herd about SCX 6 from Serck. Can anybody offer me his or her opinion of the package??

Many years ago, in the infancy of SCADA, there were no "off the shelf" packages like Citect & RSView etc, SCADA systems tended to be bespoke systems. Serck controls was one such company which developed bespoke SCADA systems for petrochem, water industries etc. Several years ago, they were about the best you could get, now however, packages such as RSView etc have taken over due to their cost effectiveness and simplicity in setting up/programming. I have had about 6/7 years experience of operating a Serck SCX system (SCX 4 I think) and there are certainly many good points about the system, however there are bad ones too (as with any system you compare). One problem was that this system ran on a DEC Alpha with VMS operating system (not many people about who know about VMS these days). One of the benefits of SCX6 was that it was desinged to run on PC hardware on NT (which brought the associated costs down). However, last year I priced up for a new system at one of our sites and compared a Serck SCX6 system with an RSView system (connected to SATT plc's). The RSView system won both on the hardware & software costs, and also on the configuration. It would be wrong of me to not reccomend a Serck system on the basis of my experiece alone, they are a good system, and certainly very reliable, but I have found that spares are expensive and the service level sometimes lets you down and personally find that packages such as RSView & Wonderware are certainly easier to configure.

Hi Guest East West

I was Engineering manager with SERCK for role out of SCX6 for water corporation in West Australia

The main advantage then  (and I think still is) is in the remote polling of many hundreds of semi-autonomous remote telemetry units communicating with discontinuous data streams, some were running across telephone lines on dialup links, some across radio links . (very remote areas across the whole of western Australia) Data was gathered and streamed when opportunity arose..

Nothing existed in its class around ten years ago.  Not sure if wonder-ware etc comes with this feature even today.

This is hte main advantage, if you dont need  discontinuous communication stick with wonderware et al..

Edited by Kenneth
spelling