Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Michael Lloyd

Yet another FactoryTalk activation thread

4 posts in this topic

I've finally folded and I'm transitioning to Win7, Not because it's better imho. That said, I'm stuck with using it so I took the plunge and installed RSLogix 5000 and RSLogix 500. Neither work. Factory Talk Activation server is stopped. When I start it, it stops. None of my activations (I used a dongle) show up but they are in the folder... I had forgotten what a kludgey mess FTA is... I'm still in Rev 19. Will that run in Win7. I'm not going to use the "hey I'm on Win7 and if I want my software to work I've got to use some kind of hokey XP workaround" so that's out. Can you get a sense of my mood right now? The Win7 frisbie has been stuffed into a corner for a month... but I'm getting tired of running email on one machine and doing my frikken job on another.

I've been using 7 for a while now and had no major issues with anything Rockwell. I find it to be very stable. Oh, except only V11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 20 and 21 of Logix 5000 work. Still need XP for version 16 I can't be a lot of help unfortunately but I can at least tell you that rev 19 works fine on Windows 7. - Have you tried searching the KB for "activation server stops" or similar? - Are you using 32 or 64 bit? (not that it should matter because I've used both with no real problems) - Are you using professional? I totally understand your frustration with the different machines. I just recently solved that one with a MacBook Pro with 16GB of RAM and VMWare Fusion. It's powerful enough to run two VM's simultaneously at a decent speed, so now I have two monitors on my desk, one for my email VM and one for my Rockwell VM. File sharing between them is as simple as drag and drop or copy and paste. And then you can create as many VM's as you want for the different Rockwell configurations. I have 11 so far

I am using Logix 5000 on Win 7 and can work with v16.7. Doesn't change my opinion of Factorytalk Activation, but v16 is working for me. Edited by waterboy

Huh. I just tried it and it seems you're right. Are you using 32 or 64 bit? I originally had the problem using 32 bit W7, every time I tried to open a v16 project, it would just crash. And then if I tried to open Logix from the start menu, it would crash again, as it tried to open the last opened version. I had to open a different version project, close it, and then re-open Logix from the start menu. But trying the same projects just now on my 64 bit VM worked a charm. Having said that, I'm pretty sure the old W7 laptop I was using had demons. So it could have been something else ;)