Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stuart_Wales

UV Tracing Of Fluid....

5 posts in this topic

....has anyone got experience of tracing a fluid thats been applied (in this case sprayed) onto a polymer material surface area? I'm currently trying to design a machine to detect if fluid has been applied in a set area as the lack of said fluid results in a poor adhesion of a double sided tape. There is UV die added to this solution purely for tracability. I've had my local sensor rep in and he's given me a perfect little sensor thats designed to pick up on a UV signal. The only issue is that my surface area is squared and about 100m squared with the solution running tight to the outer profile of this area. The problem with this sensor is that its beam is a M20 diameter so i'd have to index the sensor around the part. Not ideal. My second line of thought is a vision system that would pick up the white uv vs black (the part is black). I could then poke yoke the bracket used as there are a handfull with similar (but different) shapes. So my first question is that has anyone ever used this method to trace UV? Would I illuminate it via a standard UV tube/source? Secondly, has anyone come across UV tracing and suggest a method for a strong poke yoke? Thanks in advance.

A UV light should pick that up nicely. Talk with a couple vision integrators/distributors and see if they can test it for you.

I've already had tests carried out successfully. I was hoping that someone had experience though and specifically (if the vision system route was taken) how the UV lamp worked. Was it constantly on, pulsed, guarded etc. If anyones used UV to reflect a light source, then i'd be interested in your process set up.

We've done this using a vision inspection and strobing a xenon bulb. Previously we had used a UV curing unit to illuminate it but later found the xenon bulb provided adequate intensity. I would still check with a vision expert. I haven't seen the latest in the illumination technology. I know that vision inspections have come a long way since the setup I described. Edited by IO_Rack
1 person likes this

Thank you very much for this! We're very close to the Xenon market, so I will carry out trials with this light source very soon! This is the exact sort of hook I was looking for!!