aikorob

Logix5K file mapping

13 posts in this topic

Can someone please explain file mapping----in small words of few syllables? I am attempting to use a PanelView component as HMI for a CompactLogix processor. Yes, I know it wasn't designed to do this, but there is apparently a procedure for this application. I have made the PVc program, and the Logix program. I made an array in the controller tags to handle the number part of the data (timer presets, accumulator, thermocouple values) and referenced bit level elements for push button duties. Logix program works, and controls the machine just fine----but no communication. I have the communication ports configured as prescribed in AB's knowlegebase. Can anyone look at the screen shots and give me some advice? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

see if this will help ... try recreating your array as INT locations - rather than DINT ... most "old school" PanelViews were designed in the good old days when the 16-bit format was the going thing ... they often get upset when you try to feed them 32-bit morsels ... Edited by Ron Beaufort

Which model of CompactLogix are you using ? The "procedure" you are alluding to will only work with new CompactLogix 5370 series controllers, not with the older 1769-L32E or 1769-L35E family. Exactly which RA Knowledgebase document are you referring to ? I'm curious about whether or not RA actually documented a process for performing an unsupported function.

1769-L23QB1B Information from KB and Technotes: 18034 7355

Thanks for those references. Knowledgebase article ID 18034 is named "PanelView DF1/Data Highway Plus and PanelView Enhanced Data Highway Plus Datatypes to ControlLogix" was written fourteen years ago as a guide for using the 2711 PanelView Standard and the 2711E PanelView Enhanced controllers with ControlLogix. This was before PanelViews even had Ethernet support for ControlLogix. It does include a note suggesting that the PanelViews can read only the lower Word of a DINT array if you map a DINT[x] array to a data file. But then, that was written for the PanelView Standard long ago, which has a totally different operating system than a PanelView Component. Knowledgebase article ID 7355 is named "Setting up PLC/SLC Mapping in Logix controllers" is a detailed guide to how the Map PLC/SLC Data feature works in ControlLogix. That article tells us that a DINT[x] array would actually represent twice as many Integer data elements. So reading "N7:0" would give you the lower half of DINTARRAY[0] and reading "N7:1" would give you the upper half of DINTARRAY[0]. This would be my expectation if you were using PLC/SLC Mapping with a modern PanelView. You can avoid that complication simply by changing your array tags to INT[x] arrays instead of DINT[x] arrays. But both of these are moot points because of your controller. The 1769-L23QB1B is one of the older generation of "Packaged Controllers with Embedded I/O". It's based on the older hardware of the 1769-L32E and has 1769 series I/O packaged in the same case with the CPU. The "procedure for this application" that you cited only works with the newer CompactLogix 5370 series controllers because of a subtle feature added when they redesigned the Ethernet daughtercard to be integrated into the controller. Instead of requiring a Slot number in the CIP message path, the controller will reply to a packet that's addressed directly to the Ethernet port. I recently had a customer supply exactly that controller with a PanelView Component, and the guys spent several days out in the shop before they came to me and explained that they couldn't get it going over Ethernet. In the end we had to run a new cable and connect the PanelView Component to the CompactLogix over the RS-232 port using DF1 protocol. DF1 to the serial port does work with the CompactLogix doing PLC/SLC data table emulation.

Df1 is what I have set up KB 55209 Error on PVc is: Data Access Error for Alias SOAK_TMR, Controller PLC-1, Address is N10:1* All errors follow this format for each tag name and address If I am mapping a DINT array in Logix5K, then do I need to format my tags in PVc as 32 bit integers?

Reconfigure your Array Tags as INT[x] arrays, not as DINT[x]. I realize you might have to re-map some of your boolean tags, but it makes sense to simplify the application to something that's known to work. You're already running an unsupported architecture, so don't make it harder. Knowledgebase article ID # 55209 does describe, in detail, how to connect a PanelView Component to your CompactLogix over DF1. How have you done your physical wiring between the terminal and the controller ? The PanelView Component terminals have a DTE serial port, unlike every other PanelView family terminal, which have DCE serial ports. So the RS-232 cable should be a "null modem" type. The 1747-CP3 and 1756-CP3 are ideal for this, as they are very common for connecting to SLC-500 controllers and ControlLogix controllers. Edited by Ken Roach

Kudos, thanks, & blessings Ken----PanelView and CompactLogix appear to be happy now---at least they are talking. Now to de-bug the Logix program.

What turned out to be the issue that got the communications working ?

The biggest problem was the cable itself--I had snagged a "good" cable from Maintenance department. They needed it back for a production machine--that's when I found it was bad. Also typo's on my part--- I had braces instead of brackets in some of my addresses. Thanks again for all of your help. Machine has been running for past 2 months with no problems.

I am re-opening this topic because the previous solution is not working.

Rebuild of another machine---

1769-L23E-QBFC1B   rev 20

2711P-T4T                  rev4.011

everything is set the same as Machine #1, but I can't get communications to work. Is anybody running a similar CPU/screen combination?

We just happened to have these components on the shelf; so ,magement wants to get off cheaply as possible.

Old thread, new problem, SIMILAR situation?

You have a machine that used to work, it was rebuilt, and now the CompactLogix L23 PLC will not communicate with the PanelView Plus 6 HMI.  What is the current condition?

let me clarify:

Machine #1:

1769-L23, 2711C-T4T   --working since 2014

Machine #2--recent rebuild

1769-L23, 2711R-T4T  --can't get to communicate.

First thing I did was copy communication settings in CPU and screen from Machine #1---before I even started on programming.

Verified  null modem cable, DF1 protocol

I have the feeling that I am missing some small little checkbox somewhere