Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Andy_P

Sysmac Studio failing with 3rd party EtherCAT devices.

7 posts in this topic

I am running into trouble when trying to use a Beckhoff remote IO EtherCAT block, specifically EP2339 Having downloaded (and copied to the UserEsiFiles directory) the latest ESI package from Beckhoff, Sysmac Studio complains that the associated ESI file is not valid in some way. (Something about FMMU's and Sm's.) My feeling is that It likely stems from the fact that the block in question is a freely configurable IO block, where each point can be either an input or an output. My Beckhoff contact assures me the associated ESI file is fine, and it can be used OK with Beckhoff's TwinCAT software. However, Omron are telling me they cannot use it. So, since Beckhoff invented EtherCAT, I'm a ssuming this is a failing on the part of Sysmac Studio not properly supporting all types if ESI file, which is a pain. Any tips/solutions or upgrades in the pipeline to better handle 3rd party EtherCAT devices?

Sorry for situation. EtherCAT interoperaibility can be tested in 2 ways: -Vendor self conformance test (vendor makes own test) -EtherCAT Organization Conformance test (ETG group makes the test) OMRON Sysmac NJ conforms to the 2nd kind (EtherCAT group did the test) you can check in www.ethercat.org) However and in particular for complex slave devices it can be the case that some functionality does not work properly, in this case you have several options: -Request support from Beckhoff -Request support from OMRON -Check if ETG (www.etherCAT.org) verified that combination In OMRON we have Tsunagi (connectivity in japanese) laboratories that check OMRON devices interoperatibility with 3rd party: EtherNet/ip , deciceNet, ..., and also EtherCAT. Purpose of Tsunagi is to avoid undesired situations like you are suffering. So OMRON performs own compatibility test when our controllers are used. My suggestion (since Sysmac is the master in your system) is that you contact your OMRON representative, they can check this combination or ask for further details to Tsunagi lab (there are several worldwide) Why 2 EtherCAT devices may not work or have trouble? - Could be issue in ESI file syntax - Could be specific or vendor function not supported - other... The nice of EtherCAT is that is really OPEN to many vendors, so you can choose your preffered provider for controllers, IO, servos, inverters,etc..., but on the otherside this freedom generates many possible combinations and sometimes we can have situations that require further test.

Yeah, having open standards is nice, but it is a double-edged sword that gives rise to situations like this, where different people have different interpretations. In this case, Beckhoff say the device and ESI file is fine, and Omron say there is a problem with the ESI file - which leaves me between a rock and a hard place.

Sorry for the situation I am sure that both OMRON and Beckhoff will fix the situation, soon. Can I get the ESI xml file?

The EP2339-0021 device in question is described in the attached file. The whole Beckhoff ESI slave information XML package can be downloaded from here: http://www.beckhoff.com/english.asp?download/elconfg.htm Beckhoff EP2xxx.zip

Thanks I think you have to discuss with Beckhoff and Omron in order to improve situation. ESI file is part of product, therefore only product manufacturer is allowed to modify the xml file

I have had some more detailed discussions with Beckhoff, and they are looking into it a bit deeper in conjunction with Omron, so I can't ask for more than that at this stage. Since this module is two bytes in physical size, but it can concurrently operate input AND output on the same byte, it appreas that Sysmac Studio has a problem dealing with this. Interestingly, it can handle a similar device that is only 8 physical channels in size, with concurrent input and output. Fingers crossed the EtherCAT gurus out there can investigate!