Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ctg

Monitoring Panelview RIO Comms to PLC5 or SLC

5 posts in this topic

I would like to monitor a Panelview 600 RIO Comms to see if we have intermittant dropouts. What's the best way to do this? I have access to a PLC5, SLC or 1756 CPU. I would prefer the PLC5. Is there a way to do Block Transfer in a PLC5 without having a module in the slot and still talk to a PV? Regards, ctg

The PLC-5 will have a Rack Fault bit for the whole Rack represented by the PV+ and should also have RIO retry counters for the entire channel. PV+ terminals on RIO emulate a real RIO adapter, and will accept multiple Block Transfers. You should have error counters on your BTR and BTW instructions to monitor errors in those processes too.

Hi Ken It's not a PV Plus if that's what you mean. Just a regular PV600 model # 2711K6C1. Can you configure BTR and BTW in a PLC5 without a module in the rack and still not get BT errors? I've never been able to do that since I add a module using the templates. Regards, ctg Edited by ctg

Thanks for the clarification. RSLogix 5 should have an option for "Generic Module" when you use the Block Transfer wizard. I never used that feature when configuring PanelViews; I preferred a stack of graph paper.

I found a bit in the PLC5 status file. When I pull the RIO cable it changes to a '1'. However, I cannot figure how to get a numeric display to work. For a test, I created a bit tag in the Panelview 600 called Bit_Test and assigned B3:0/0. After finishing the configuration, I configured the Block Transfer full rack, starting group 0,1, etc. I've done this before a few times. However, after downloading, I cannot get the display to show the bit status. All I get is a few of these:******. What am I missing? RIO comms is good and I've done this before on other PVs. I'm not sure I understand the Block Transfer requirements in the Panelview. I thought that I could just use a discrete address to display a bit on the PV screen without Block Transfer. Still, I configured the BT in the PV and entered B3:0 in line 1 with a length of 16. However, the tag only validated when 'READ' is selected as part of the BT configuration. If you're confused, so am I. Basically, I'm trying to do discrete numeric display on a test screen and I would like to learn how to do the BT for integer display on the screen so I can display the date and time using the PLC status registers. How do set up Block Transfer in the PLC without an analog module in the slot? When I try it without a module, I get BT errors. Any help appreciated. Regards, ctg Edited by ctg