BITS N BYTES

Sysmac Studio Improvement Request

183 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, BE said:

What do you mean by variables don't behave well? If I update the name of a global variable in the global variables table, it automatically updates it in other areas of my program.

However if I have 10 variables named Test1, Test2......Test9, Test10 and I wanted to change them to be 2-11 (instead of 1-10), I start by changing 10 to 11 and working my way back down to prevent any variables ever having the same name (which, rightfully so, causes Sysmac Studio to get a bit cranky and tell you off :burn:)

It's worth noting that by default it doesn't do this. Sounds like you enabled the option to reflect the changes to variable names

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, photovoltaic said:

It's worth noting that by default it doesn't do this. Sounds like you enabled the option to reflect the changes to variable names

Ah, very possibly. It was probably one of those settings that my Omron tech suggested to change when I did their training course (and have since forgotten about it lol)

If that is the case, the setting is located under Tools-Option...-Variables.

Edited by BE
added location of setting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2021 at 9:48 PM, BE said:

What do you mean by variables don't behave well? If I update the name of a global variable in the global variables table, it automatically updates it in other areas of my program.

However if I have 10 variables named Test1, Test2......Test9, Test10 and I wanted to change them to be 2-11 (instead of 1-10), I start by changing 10 to 11 and working my way back down to prevent any variables ever having the same name (which, rightfully so, causes Sysmac Studio to get a bit cranky and tell you off :burn:)

My SysmacStudio doesn't do this thing for me. lol

Here is the video if you want to take a look.

2021-03-15_13-28-33.mp4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, scotty134 said:

My SysmacStudio doesn't do this thing for me. lol

Here is the video if you want to take a look.

2021-03-15_13-28-33.mp4

Tools -> Option -> Variables -> Change the variable name used in programs

This will fix that behaviour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, photovoltaic said:

Tools -> Option -> Variables -> Change the variable name used in programs

This will fix that behaviour

Thanks, I did install Sysmac Studio to new laptop and totally forgot about this option. It's silly that they don't do this variable set by default, lol :) Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2021 at 2:35 PM, scotty134 said:

Thanks, I did install Sysmac Studio to new laptop and totally forgot about this option. It's silly that they don't do this variable set by default, lol :) Thank you!

It's likely not enabled by default as it was added somewhere along the way.  When new features are added that will drastically affect the software, they tend to default to off.  Like when the added the option to as when typing a new variable name in a program to ask if it will be local or global, and to prompt for a data type if it cant figure it out by usage.  Those were not how Studio originally worked, and would add one or two confirmations when adding variables in a program edit.  So rather than confuse people who were used to doing it the default way, if you wanted the new options, you would change it and adjust to the new prompts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but it would be nice if we could assign a structure member to I/O in the I/O map. Currently it only allows "normal" variables, periods/fullstops are not allowed. The project I am working on has multiple structured datatypes for various equipment, and these structures include Boolean members that indicate the status of reed switches and other sensors (on physical inputs), and trigger run/start signals through physical outputs etc. So I basically have had to create individual variables for all my physical I/O, and then write the values from these variables to structure members (and vice versa for outputs) in an attempt to keep all the data for specific equipment together in the structure. Not hard to do using a few custom function blocks, but it just seems a little counterintuitive to create structures that keep things together and organised, and then have to create individual variables for physical I/O.

I assume there is probably a reason Omron hasn't done this, but it would be nice if we could :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BE said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but it would be nice if we could assign a structure member to I/O in the I/O map. Currently it only allows "normal" variables, periods/fullstops are not allowed. The project I am working on has multiple structured datatypes for various equipment, and these structures include Boolean members that indicate the status of reed switches and other sensors (on physical inputs), and trigger run/start signals through physical outputs etc. So I basically have had to create individual variables for all my physical I/O, and then write the values from these variables to structure members (and vice versa for outputs) in an attempt to keep all the data for specific equipment together in the structure. Not hard to do using a few custom function blocks, but it just seems a little counterintuitive to create structures that keep things together and organised, and then have to create individual variables for physical I/O.

I assume there is probably a reason Omron hasn't done this, but it would be nice if we could :-)

I have wondered about that limitation too.  I haven't seen an IEC controller that allows it, so I wasn't sure if it was because they are limited to standard data types per the standard.  If someone knows, would love to hear it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now